PDA

View Full Version : Everything you need to know about the NSPCC and my challenge.

yorkiesauctions
4th August 2009, 09:23 AM
I've started this thread so that folk will know exactly what I'm doing, what the charity is, and why I'm doing it.

I've included all the information that I can think off, so everything anyone could want to know should be here in this thread for all to read.

What is the NSPCC?

The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children.

Most of their work is with children, young people and their families. They also work to achieve cultural, social and political change - influencing legislation, policy, practice, public attitudes and behaviours and delivering services for the benefit of young people.

They want to see a society where all children are loved, valued and able to fulfil their potential. To do this, they have four objectives:

1 To mobilise everyone to take action to end child cruelty.

2 To give children the help, support and environment they need to stay safe from cruelty.

3 To find ways of working with communities to keep children safe from cruelty.

4 To be, and be seen as, someone to turn to for children and young people.

They have 180 community-based projects and run the NSPCC Helpline and ChildLine in the UK and the Channel Islands.

After the death of baby P calls to the NSPCC Helpline have risen by 30%

The charity walk.

The HACK 2009 – Hike Against Cruelty to Kids - is a 25-mile sponsored challenge walk to raise money for the NSPCC in September 2009. The course has to be completed within 12 hours.

The hike takes place in the stunning Yorkshire Dales National Park, where I will join other walkers through natural woodlands, valleys, viaducts and gorges and climb the pinnacle of the Ingleborough peak, Yorkshire's most famous flat top mountain which stands at 2,373ft tall, to enjoy one of the best views in England. Then I will walk back down through picturesque villages, finishing in Clapham, close to the birthplace of one of the founders of the NSPCC, Benjamin Waugh.

This is Ingleborough Massif, the mountain that I have to climb.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o258/yorkie1962/maps/Ingleboroughpeak.jpg

You can sponsor me and keep an eye on how much I have raised so far by going to my sponsorship page HERE (http://www.justgiving.com/fcarr/). You can sponsor me using Paypal, credit card, or debit card. It's quick and easy.

yorkiesauctions
4th August 2009, 09:23 AM
To give you some idea of the walk I have posted the maps below.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o258/yorkie1962/maps/map1.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o258/yorkie1962/maps/map2.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o258/yorkie1962/maps/map3.jpg

yorkiesauctions
4th August 2009, 09:24 AM
Maps continued...

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o258/yorkie1962/maps/map4.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o258/yorkie1962/maps/map5.jpg

yorkiesauctions
4th August 2009, 09:25 AM
My aim, why, and preperation.

My aim is simple, to raise as much as I possibly can for the NSPCC to help them put an end to cruelty to children.

Apart from wanting to raise funds for the NSPCC I am also doing this challenge for several personal reasons. The reasons are as follows...

1 I had a poor early childhood, hence why I tend to support childrens charities. I don't have any spare money so I thought that the challenge walk would be a good way of me supporting the NSPCC and raising funds for them.

2 I've got to the stage in life where I am bored with always staying in my comfort zone, I want to push myself more.

3 I've never done a walk like this before and I've certainly never climbed a mountian, so this gives me a chance to push myself.

4 I suffer from Asthma and I have a severe fear of heights, this will give me a chance find my limits and face one of my biggest fears.

Preperation.

I have invested in some proper walking equipment, a good backpack, walking trousers, walking boots, walking socks (yeah I never knew there was such a thing either!), a waterproof lightweight coat, and other eqipment.

I'm learning how to calibrate a compass and how to use it along with the maps. I never knew that maps use true north whereas a compass obviously uses magnetic north. Good job I found out now innit!

I've been walking as much as I can but have been restricted because of work and family commitments. I've managed a few 10 mile walks up to Saddleworth Moors and back and I've started walking to and from my second job three times a week (it's an 8 mile round trip). I plan to walk to Uppermill and back this weekend or next weekend, that's an 18 mile round trip. I've also walked to Holmfirth and back too, that's 16 miles.

One thing I have realised from preparing for this walk is that I am fitter than I had realised, which is good.

Here are a couple of maps of the walks that I've done and one of a planned walk that I will do soon.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o258/yorkie1962/maps/walkholmfirth.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o258/yorkie1962/maps/walkquarmby.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o258/yorkie1962/maps/walkuppermill.jpg

yorkiesauctions
4th August 2009, 09:25 AM
Conclusion.

I am determined to do my best for this charity, it is something which I think is very worthwhile and deserves our support for all the good and essential work that they do.

I am a little nervous about doing the challenge, mainly because I don't want to let folk down, but also because I will be facing my biggest phobia when I climb Ingleborough Massif. I think that I'll manage the distance okay but the time limit and the mountain climb make the challenge a lot harder than simply walking 25 miles.

I think I'll complete the course on time, I'm looking forward to doing it and I am nervous at the same time.

I set my fund raising target at £250 because it has cost me around £200 to buy all the eqipment and for the registeration fee, but I am way past that target already so I'm happy about that. I still aim to push the fundraising though because every little extra will help the NSPCC and the children, so the more I raise the better.

Oh yeah! I nearly forgot...

This is the poster I made and have been using to gain sponsorship.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o258/yorkie1962/poster1.jpg

Huddylion
4th August 2009, 09:48 AM
Nice one Frank, rather you than me ,just wish I could mange something like that.
Pleased we choose you for the next YDC, another fantastic charity,and I do hope that,EVERYONE will do it for you on the next YDC,am sure most will, I know I will be doing it for your charity walk
Well done that man.

:):):):)

yorkiesauctions
4th August 2009, 09:59 AM
Cheers Pete, it'll be a struggle but I think I'll manage it....just! :o

I'm dead chuffed about the next YDC, it will be a massive boost for the NSPCC.

I've been gobsmacked by the support I've received with this, folk have been brilliant.

I think I have broken the £500 mark now, I can't be sure until I've collected all the offline donations but it looks like I have around £120 to add to the current total of £402. :)

At least when I'm crapping missen climbing that chuffin Ingleborough I'll know that it's all worth it. lol

Thanks for all the support folks!, you're a good bunch. :)

shady-lady-45uk
4th August 2009, 10:12 AM
:eek:...BY ECK MR CARR............now i deff know ure more mental than i thought lol thats one mighty big walk ure doing there.....BUT YOU WILL DO IT.....if anyone can you can........but good luck its gonna be a hard one......shut up lol:p

Rednosty
4th August 2009, 10:17 AM
Huh that mountains Easy peasy it only about 2" high on my scree :)

yorkiesauctions
4th August 2009, 10:23 AM
Huh that mountains Easy peasy it only about 2" high on my scree :)

Phew! that's a relief then, I'll just step over the bugga. :D

Rednosty
4th August 2009, 10:25 AM
Careful you don't trip then

Rednosty
4th August 2009, 10:28 AM
Have you put any thought into this venture ;) (he says!!)

shady-lady-45uk
4th August 2009, 10:31 AM
Have you put any thought into this venture ;) (he says!!)

course he has red...hes thought about stayin bed that morning and sayin ........nahhhhhhhhhhhh forget it lol.....:D

poppa501
4th August 2009, 05:29 PM
Frank--YOU ARE THE MAN!! With your attitude and preperation, I know you will make it for sure. And if for some bizzare reason you don't--That's OK too 'cause you're giving it a better shot than the rest of us couch potatos!:eek:

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp228/poppa501/eBid%20gifs/Thanks/thankyou.gif

Thanks from all of us on the KT and a big thanks from the kids. You deserve it!

Love ya guy!
Poppa

FairMaiden
4th August 2009, 05:41 PM
Frank--YOU ARE THE MAN!! With your attitude and preperation, I know you will make it for sure. And if for some bizzare reason you don't--That's OK too 'cause you're giving it a better shot than the rest of us couch potatos!:eek:

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp228/poppa501/eBid%20gifs/Thanks/thankyou.gif

Thanks from all of us on the KT and a big thanks from the kids. You deserve it!

Love ya guy!
Poppa

Ditto what Poppa says :)

I know Im probably a bit slow in asking but how can we sponsor you?????

TexasAda
4th August 2009, 05:54 PM
Frank--YOU ARE THE MAN!! With your attitude and preperation, I know you will make it for sure. And if for some bizzare reason you don't--That's OK too 'cause you're giving it a better shot than the rest of us couch potatos!:eek: Poppa

Another seconding of that! Well put. Sounds like you're really serious about making preparations and your walks to work are great. I think you will be caught up in the enthusiasm and encouragement of all the other hikers. The thing i would worry most about is blisters on your feet so hope you have broken-in, perfectly fitting shoes and socks that do their job. Will there be a "sag wagon" driving alongside the walkers, carrying supplies so you don't have to?

FairMaiden
4th August 2009, 05:58 PM
Sag wagon, lol. I had visions of a truck riding besides the walkers with sticks to hold their bellies etc up :eek::D

TexasAda
4th August 2009, 07:22 PM
HAHA that was something l like my first vision of it too. Or i thought people would be walking along with their upper bodies draped on something like a flatbed hay wagon, barely able to move their feet along.

yorkiesauctions
4th August 2009, 07:34 PM
Cheers Poppa, that's very kind of you. I'll be giving it my best shot that's for sure. The main part that worries me is the climb to the top of Ingleborough Massif because I have an acute fear of heights, I go dizzy and almost pass out. I once got stuck on a ledge just 20 feet off the ground, I was stuck there for half an hour until I got annoyed with myself and jumped off instead of climbing down. lol. I know the fear is stupid but I can't control it, it's definitely my main phobia. But I'll close my eyes and run if I have to, I'll get to the top and own again somehow.

Ditto what Poppa says

I know Im probably a bit slow in asking but how can we sponsor you?????

Cheers lass.

lol, my sponsorship page is at www.JustGiving.com/FCarr (http://www.JustGiving.com/FCarr) (HINT: See my sig). I've added instructions to the OP too now.

Another seconding of that! Well put. Sounds like you're really serious about making preparations and your walks to work are great. I think you will be caught up in the enthusiasm and encouragement of all the other hikers. The thing i would worry most about is blisters on your feet so hope you have broken-in, perfectly fitting shoes and socks that do their job. Will there be a "sag wagon" driving alongside the walkers, carrying supplies so you don't have to?

Thank you.

I don't know anyone else who is doing the challenge so I've not talked to any other walkers, but I have talked to a couple of folk who have done part of the walk and they said it's a tough one, part of it is actually a scramble rather than a walk (you need to use your hands as well as your feet to get up).

Yeah I've learnt all about the blisters and have taken all precautions against them. Obviously you can't guarentee that you won't get blisters no matter how much you prepare, but you can lessen the chances of getting them.

lol, no there's no sag wagon, you can't get one over a lot of the terrain. But there are water supplies, fruit, and sandwiches, at the checkpoints. Although in the information that they sent me they said that I should make sure that I take plenty of water and food with ne incase their supplies have run out by the time I hit the checkpoints, apparently they only have limited supplies. They also said that I should take a supply of high energy drinks and banana's to lift my energy levels when I need to.

Sag wagon, lol. I had visions of a truck riding besides the walkers with sticks to hold their bellies etc up

lol, when I read it I got a mental image of a Zimmer frame with wheels on and beer bellies resting on them...and women with droopy boobs sprang to mind too. lol

Rednosty
4th August 2009, 08:38 PM
Your supposed to say Thank you (Eric) :)

yorkiesauctions
4th August 2009, 09:44 PM
Your supposed to say Thank you (Eric) :)

Thank you Eric, you're a good man. :)

DanTheMan3
4th August 2009, 10:29 PM
Frank.
Last October you won the YDC and could choose whatever charity you wanted to support.
You contacted me and asked if I would nominate 'Pendlebury Childrens Hospital' because of the story I had posted on the forums regarding my gransons operation.
That was fantastic of you.
If you remember the YDC auctions then raised over £550 in October.
Since then I have used the YDC for 'Pendlebury Childrens Hospital' and
WE THE BUYERS AND SELLERS ON THE YDC have raised over £1000 for them.
Pendlebury Childrens hospital has now closed and all patients have been moved to 'THE NEW CHILDRENS HOSPITAL'.

So the next YDC auctions of mine will be dedicated to the NSPCC.

Sorry but I cannot reserve a bed for you cos you are to old.
:D

DanTheMan3
4th August 2009, 10:51 PM
Conclusion.

I am determined to do my best for this charity, it is something which I think is very worthwhile and deserves our support for all the good and essential work that they do.

I am a little nervous about doing the challenge, mainly because I don't want to let folk down, but also because I will be facing my biggest phobia when I climb Ingleborough Massif. I think that I'll manage the distance okay but the time limit and the mountain climb make the challenge a lot harder than simply walking 25 miles.

I think I'll complete the course on time, I'm looking forward to doing it and I am nervous at the same time.

I set my fund raising target at £250 because it has cost me around £200 to buy all the eqipment and for the registeration fee, but I am way past that target already so I'm happy about that. I still aim to push the fundraising though because every little extra will help the NSPCC and the children, so the more I raise the better.

Oh yeah! I nearly forgot...

This is the poster I made and have been using to gain sponsorship.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o258/yorkie1962/poster1.jpg

It will be a walkover.
.:D

yorkiesauctions
5th August 2009, 08:41 PM
It will be a walkover.
.:D

Hopefully. :)

Thanks for you're support, it's much appreciated.

I've added some offline sponsorship to the total tonight, it's looking healthy. :)

yorkiesauctions
6th August 2009, 09:15 AM
Thank you for your sponsorships Eric and Margarete. You hit the nail on the head with your comment Margarete, every little really does help lass.

I'm going to walk to Uppermill and back on Saturday, that's an 18 mile round trip from my house. On Sunday I'm off to take a look at Ingleborough, mainly to make sure that I know the way on the day. It's just over a two hour drive from here, which means that I'll have to be up at 2am on the day of the challenge to have time to get ready and get to the start by 6am. I think I'll sleep well after the walk. lol

kengillam
6th August 2009, 03:38 PM
Make sure you have plenty of sleep the week before, incidentally put me down for £1 a mile.

yorkiesauctions
6th August 2009, 08:56 PM
Make sure you have plenty of sleep the week before, incidentally put me down for £1 a mile.

I'll be trying to wind down a little the week before and get plenty of rest.

Cheers Ken, that's very good of you lad. :)

kengillam
6th August 2009, 10:52 PM
Don't get called lad very often these days :D

yorkiesauctions
8th August 2009, 09:56 AM
Don't get called lad very often these days :D

Lol, me neither. :(

I'm off for an 18 mile walk in a few minutes, I've no idea how long it will take me but I won't be rushing, and I'll probably be taking some photos too.

meebo1
8th August 2009, 09:57 AM
Just let us know you got home without any incidents

yorkiesauctions
8th August 2009, 09:25 PM
Just let us know you got home without any incidents

lol, yeah I made it back in one piece.

Actually I'm dead chuffed how the walk went. I had set myself a time limit of 7 hours for the 18 mile round trip, I actually did it in 5 hours 55 minutes. :D

I was obviously tired when I got home but I could easily have gone on for a few more miles if I had to.

As usual I took some photos while I was walking, they are HERE (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=101682&id=732738449&).

I have to be up at 6am tomorrow because I'm off to Ingleborough tohave a look at this mountain, and to make sure that I know the way there on the day. lol

bykimbo
8th August 2009, 09:27 PM
Well done! Can't see the pictures cos I'm not registered with facebook, but I'm sure they're lovely. :)

yorkiesauctions
8th August 2009, 09:45 PM
Well done! Can't see the pictures cos I'm not registered with facebook, but I'm sure they're lovely. :)

Thanks lass.

Doh! I thought anyone could see them. :rolleyes:

I've just uploaded them here (http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o258/yorkie1962/18%20mile%20walk/) so anyone can see them. :)

bykimbo
8th August 2009, 09:48 PM
They're smashing, thanks ever so for taking the trouble to put them somewhere else. I love this one: http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o258/yorkie1962/18%20mile%20walk/DSCF1041.jpg

I could live there. Gorgeous.

yorkiesauctions
8th August 2009, 10:02 PM
They're smashing, thanks ever so for taking the trouble to put them somewhere else. I love this one:
I could live there. Gorgeous.

No probs lass.

They started doing that house up last year, it has been stood there for donkeys of years with no roof and only half the walls. lol. Somebody has obviously decided to make use of it. There are quite a few houses on their own in the middle of nowhere around here, would be bliss to live in one and have no neighbours. lol

meebo1
9th August 2009, 05:10 AM
I love the pics.

yorkiesauctions
9th August 2009, 05:51 AM
I love the pics.

Cheers lass, they were taken with the compact camera.

I'm off to Ingleborough now, have a good day folks.

meebo1
9th August 2009, 05:54 AM
And you

kengillam
9th August 2009, 07:57 AM
No probs lass.

They started doing that house up last year, it has been stood there for donkeys of years with no roof and only half the walls. lol. Somebody has obviously decided to make use of it. There are quite a few houses on their own in the middle of nowhere around here, would be bliss to live in one and have no neighbours. lol
Aah but can you get the Internet and does yer mobile work :D

yorkiesauctions
9th August 2009, 08:21 PM
Well today was an..erm?...adventure. lol

A two hour trip took us five hours. :eek:

First we got lost, then we got sent in completely the wrong direction by some diversions, we weren't the only ones either. :cool:

But we finally got there and shouldn't have any problems on the day...touch wood. Clapham, where we went because that's where the walk starts and finishes, is bloody beautiful. I only saw Ingleborough peak from a distance but it's one big bugga! :eek:

I only took a few snaps because we were pushed for time after all the messing about getting there, you can see the pics here (http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o258/yorkie1962/Clapham/).

bykimbo
9th August 2009, 08:25 PM
Wow!

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o258/yorkie1962/Clapham/DSCF1002.jpg

Hope you didn't need that rescue truck. :D

yorkiesauctions
9th August 2009, 08:30 PM
Hope you didn't need that rescue truck. :D

lol, no not quite, but it's just as well that I'm a slaphead or I would have pulled me hair out.

tjsprinting
9th August 2009, 08:35 PM
Well I ended up at LLanberis, at the foot of Snowdon, today, heck thats a long walk, but if you finish this one I will walk up Snowdon( sometime when Im fit!!!! then come down on the train-lol)
Yorkie you have it in you to do this walk and the rewards you will reap within will out number all the pain.
Go for it laddy!
We are all behind you.

yorkiesauctions
9th August 2009, 08:43 PM
Well I ended up at LLanberis, at the foot of Snowdon, today, heck thats a long walk, but if you finish this one I will walk up Snowdon( sometime when Im fit!!!! then come down on the train-lol)
Yorkie you have it in you to do this walk and the rewards you will reap within will out number all the pain.
Go for it laddy!
We are all behind you.

Thank you, I hope so. :o

The cause will keep me going no matter what happens, I'd be gutted if I let them down.

meebo1
9th August 2009, 08:44 PM
And I thought Clapham was part of London :D:D
But the pictures are great

yorkiesauctions
9th August 2009, 08:52 PM
And I thought Clapham was part of London :D:D
But the pictures are great

Me too lass. When I read that we start in Clapham and walk through Ingleborough back to Clapham I thought, "You can bog off!, I ain't walking all that way! :eek:" lol

meebo1
9th August 2009, 08:55 PM
I am sure it'll take you days rather than hours.

yorkiesauctions
10th August 2009, 07:47 PM
Got up this morning feeling really rough, I've picked up a bug or something and feel sick and keep getting stomach pains. I didn't fancy walking the 8 miles to my second job and back after I'd finished my first job but I forced myself to do it. It took me a little longer than normal but I did it okay, but I paid for it this afternoon when I was working back at my first job. I don't feel to bad now though so hopefully it's just a 24 hour thing.

I've decided to wind down the training the week before the walk. I'm working up to the Thursday that week so I'll keep doing the 8 mile walk between jobs but I won't do any longer walks during that week. Hopefully I'll get a few long walks in before then.

My fitness level is better than a few weeks ago, I can feel the improvement, so that is encouraging.

I've set myself a target for the walk, I hope to do it in 11 hours. But I am secretly hoping to complete the challenge in 10 hours, but if I hit the 11 hour target then I'll still be chuffed.

kengillam
10th August 2009, 08:28 PM
When I was running I would do a gentle 3 mile run a couple of days before, then rest, then on the day I was raring to go feeling fresh and not over trained.

DanTheMan3
10th August 2009, 11:38 PM
Just listed a pile of auctions for the next YDC.
Please check the out and make sure I have done them righr.

yorkiesauctions
15th August 2009, 09:52 AM
Training update:

I've had a tough week this week, I picked up a stomach bug on Monday which affected me all week. And I've had to do an extra 25 hours at work this week too which obviously limited my training time.

But, I managed to get a 10 mile walk in and I still did the 8 mile round trip walks to my second job. I am going to take it easy this weekend though because all the extra work and the stomach bug have left me feeling tired and a bit shaky and I don't want to make myself feel worse with only a fortnight left to the walk. I may sneak a short walk, 6 miles or so, sometime over the weekend though.

meebo1
15th August 2009, 10:19 AM
Poor Yorkie! Just make sure that you got rid of the bug properly. We all have a tendency to ignore these 'little' things and go back to our routine before the body is ready. And we will pay for it at some point in our lives.

bykimbo
15th August 2009, 11:30 AM
I love the idea of a six mile walk being short. :)

Mind you, Eddie Izzard's running a marathon a day at the moment! :eek:

Get well soon, anyroadup mate.

yorkiesauctions
15th August 2009, 12:51 PM
Poor Yorkie! Just make sure that you got rid of the bug properly. We all have a tendency to ignore these 'little' things and go back to our routine before the body is ready. And we will pay for it at some point in our lives.

It's just a stomach bug that is doing the rounds around here, it leaves you feeling weak and shaky. Doing 25 hours overtime didn't help much either. I'm terrible when it comes to doctors, it has been over ten years since I last went to mine, I can't even remember his name. I get my inhalers on repeat prescription and only visit the asthma clinic when I get a letter telling me off for not going to see the nurse. lol

I love the idea of a six mile walk being short. :)

Mind you, Eddie Izzard's running a marathon a day at the moment! :eek:

Get well soon, anyroadup mate.

It's strange how quickly your mindset changes when you're training. A couple of months ago a six mile walk would have been a day out for me, now I'd be annoyed with myself if it took me a couple of hours. The walk to my second job and back seems like nothing to me now whereas before it was a major walk. I definitely get a buzz when a walk goes to plan, I was dead chuffed with the 18 mile walk last Saturday when I did it under 6 hours and beat my target time by just over an hour. It's just a shame that I don't have enough free time to train how I want to, but I'm doing okay as I am and I can even feel how much fitter I am now too. :)

yorkiesauctions
16th August 2009, 01:44 PM
Oo! I got an anonymous sponsor, thank you if you're reading this. :)

Dunno if you're from eBid or not?, but I have a link to this thread on my sponsorship page so even if you're not an eBider you could still be read this.

Not long to go now, getting a bit nervous. lol

yorkiesauctions
20th August 2009, 07:54 PM
Thank you CrazyJay, a very generous sponsor Jerry. :)

Training is still going well, I'm hitting all the targets that I set myself. When setting a target I keep it realistic but difficult, that way I can monitor my fitness level. So far so good. :)

yorkiesauctions
22nd August 2009, 09:47 AM
Only two weeks left for the challenge walk! :eek:

Whoa!, seems to be coming around chuffin fast now. :o

pearlygirl555
22nd August 2009, 09:00 PM
Look how much you've already accomplished in terms of getting yourself in better shape---you'll be able to go another decade without seeing the doctors now :)

When you went to see the big hill, did it aggravate your fear of heights? Or did I misunderstand you, and you haven't been up there yet?

yorkiesauctions
22nd August 2009, 09:47 PM
Look how much you've already accomplished in terms of getting yourself in better shape---you'll be able to go another decade without seeing the doctors now :)

When you went to see the big hill, did it aggravate your fear of heights? Or did I misunderstand you, and you haven't been up there yet?

I thought that I was quite fit before but the training has definitely made a difference, I have a lot more energy nowadays too.

I only saw it from a few miles away because I went to Peckham where the walk starts to make sure that I knew the way and that I knew where the meeting point was on the day.

When I saw the big hill (chuffin massive mountain!) it did concern me a bit. :eek: But I'll conquer my fear on the day, somehow. I'm not going to let my silly fear beat me on something like this, it's too important to me.

pearlygirl555
23rd August 2009, 05:27 AM
I'm sure that being in the company of other hikers, having the strong motivation that you do, and perhaps being a wee bit winded will take some of the immediacy out of the chuffin massive mountain :)

I also have fear of heights and it seems to become more pronounced as I get older. But I have no problem with high elevations, by which I mean mountains of 10,000 feet or more. I think when you get started up the mountain you will find that it has a different "feel" to it, even looking down where you came from, or out into the scenic view. It is just what the ground has done, and you've come along for the ride. You will be just fine :)

meebo1
23rd August 2009, 06:13 AM
Peckham
You are back in London again!! I think this hike is not in Yorkshire at all

yorkiesauctions
23rd August 2009, 11:40 AM
I'm sure that being in the company of other hikers, having the strong motivation that you do, and perhaps being a wee bit winded will take some of the immediacy out of the chuffin massive mountain :)

I also have fear of heights and it seems to become more pronounced as I get older. But I have no problem with high elevations, by which I mean mountains of 10,000 feet or more. I think when you get started up the mountain you will find that it has a different "feel" to it, even looking down where you came from, or out into the scenic view. It is just what the ground has done, and you've come along for the ride. You will be just fine :)

The most annoying thing is that I know it's silly and irrational but I can't do anything about it, I've tried in the past. I even feel the panic if someone else is near the edge and I'm well away from the edge. It's hard to explain. I get dizzy and sweaty and my legs buckle, it's bloody stupid.

I took these two photos last summer...

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o258/yorkie1962/Walks/climbers2b.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o258/yorkie1962/Walks/climbers4.jpg

I was a good 20 to 30 feet away from the edge, I used the zoom on the camera, but my heart was almost thumping it's way out of my chest and I was clammy and sweaty. I had to turn my back on the people climbing after I took the photo because I could feel the panic gradually building. Even looking at the photos make me feel apprehensive, how silly is that?!

Those photos were taken just up the road from here, the cliffs are only about 50 or 60ft high.

The two things that I have going for me are that I'm determined and I'm a stubborn git. lol. I'll think of something on the day and I'll get to the top and down again, but I bet I'm scared bloody stiff until the climb is behind me.

As they say in yorkshire, "It'll be reet, it'll all come out in the wash". Which basically means, stop worrying and just get on with it. lol

yorkiesauctions
23rd August 2009, 11:41 AM
Peckham
You are back in London again!! I think this hike is not in Yorkshire at all

You don't think that they're trying to trick me and it's really a 225 mile walk instead of a 25 mile walk do you? :eek:

meebo1
23rd August 2009, 11:47 AM
wasn't it clapham you start? Not that far from Peckham

yorkiesauctions
23rd August 2009, 11:49 AM
wasn't it clapham you start? Not that far from Peckham

lol, yeah, I knew it had summat to do with London.

Must have had me gormless head on yesterday. :rolleyes:

meebo1
23rd August 2009, 11:50 AM
Mind you the scenerie isn't as nice

pearlygirl555
23rd August 2009, 03:13 PM
Those photos are great! I get the same response you do when I look at them, much less having been up there :eek:

When I was a kid we used to snow ski a lot, which of course meant going uphill via a chair lift. I didn't like when the lift ran over the big ponds (they made artificial snow, too dry in Southern California for real snow) but otherwise, it was okay.

Thirty years on, and I was at our state fair with my boss for a cattle show. We took the chair lift from one part of the fair to another, a very short ride, chairs not very far above ground, and I thought I was going to die! Sweating, heart pounding out of my chest, shaking.....Loren would say things like "just look down, we aren't that far up" and "oh, they cut a path through that tree for the lift, we're only about 30 feet up" and I was like, shut the **** up!!! Talk about kissing the ground when we got to the other end....whew! :eek:

yorkiesauctions
27th August 2009, 10:33 AM
I couldn't go on a chair lift to save my life! :eek: The combination of the height and the air under my feet would freak me out bigtime. :o

meebo1
27th August 2009, 12:10 PM
I am the same. Can just abput cope with heights if there is a barrier up to my neck or if it's enclosed, though up till now I have resisted all 'temptations' to go on the London Eye. I like Terra Firma :D

yorkiesauctions
27th August 2009, 08:15 PM
I've just had a look at the 10 day weather forecast for the walk area and at the moment it says, Fog AM - Sunny PM, which isn't too bad as long as it's not too sunny. Apparently they have had a lot of rain this week and it's quite muddy there at the moment, let's hope some of that dries up before the walk.

For anyone who is not sure where Ingleborough is it's not far from Skipton.

yorkiesauctions
28th August 2009, 01:15 PM
I've just had a nosey on the Facebook page for the walk (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/event.php?eid=48788691818&ref=mf) (dunno if you'll be able to view the link or not?) I'm doing and going by the members who have confirmed that they're doing the challenge I think I'm going to be oldest person there. :eek:

Never mind, I'll show those young 'un's a thing or two. :D

bykimbo
28th August 2009, 04:58 PM
Never mind, I'll show those young 'un's a thing or two. :D

Wrinkles, corns, and a sunburnt bald spot?

(I'd run away, but given how fit you are now there's no point!) :D

meebo1
28th August 2009, 05:18 PM
I am sure he doesn't have corns, and the blisters will have healed by now. But as for the rest... (I can't run at all at the moment)

yorkiesauctions
28th August 2009, 10:17 PM
Wrinkles, corns, and a sunburnt bald spot?

(I'd run away, but given how fit you are now there's no point!) :D

Excuse me!, they're not wrinkles, it's just character innit. :D

No corns, but I have overheated me solar panel a few times this year. :o

I'll show the bugga's that life begins at 40, they'll be eating my dust!

(as I fall down the mountain)

yorkiesauctions
28th August 2009, 10:20 PM
I am sure he doesn't have corns, and the blisters will have healed by now. But as for the rest... (I can't run at all at the moment)

Get thissen a bike then lass. :D

The average age on the Facebook page seems to be around 20 something. It's gonna feel like I'm on a sponsored babysitting instead of a walk. :rolleyes:

meebo1
29th August 2009, 04:20 AM
You'll make the frontpage, just by being the age you are (and I use my bike frequently) :D

yorkiesauctions
30th August 2009, 07:05 PM
I'm in countdown mode now, just six days to go. :eek:

(Don't panic Mr Mannering!)
http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/user-pics/signaturepics/sigpic123643_1.gif

I'll be doing one 10 mile walk tomorrow and one 8 mile walk on Wednesday and that will be the end of my training.

On Thursday I'll be packing what I need into my backpack (except food and drinks) and buying in some pasta (to eat on Friday) and bananas (for on the walk) and four bottles of Powerade (to drink on the walk).

I think I am all set to go. I'll be glad when it's this time next week though. :o

yorkiesauctions
31st August 2009, 07:57 AM
Only five days to go. :o

http://www.oneinhundred.com/upfiles/upimg1/Shocked---Stress-reliever-in-t-5128411.jpg

bykimbo
31st August 2009, 07:59 AM
Hope you've got all your gear sorted.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l42/sarax19/sherpa.jpg

yorkiesauctions
31st August 2009, 08:07 AM
Hope you've got all your gear sorted.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l42/sarax19/sherpa.jpg

lol, yeah all sorted. I just need to check the listings now to see if anyone is selling a couple pack mules. :o

Off to work now, gonna walk there and back and have to call at a mates, so it'll be a 10 or 12 miles round trip. It's chuffin raining here this morning too. :rolleyes:

L8rz folks. ( <--- did that make me sound young and cool?....No?...bugga! )

bykimbo
31st August 2009, 08:20 AM
L8rz folks. ( <--- did that make me sound young and cool?....No?...bugga! )

It did to me.

But I'm old and naff too. :D

meebo1
31st August 2009, 08:29 AM
I can't work out what it means. so what does that make me? (answers not required :D)

yorkiesauctions
31st August 2009, 04:15 PM
It did to me.

But I'm old and naff too. :D

That comment would have been so much better without the "too". lol

I can't work out what it means. so what does that make me? (answers not required :D)

L8rz = laters

It's what us young cool dudes say. :D

(or it was a few years ago...a good few years ago. :o )

bykimbo
31st August 2009, 04:20 PM
That comment would have been so much better without the "too". lol

Whoops! :o

L8rz = laters

It's what us young cool dudes say. :D

(or it was a few years ago...a good few years ago. :o )

*snort, guffaw* :D

yorkiesauctions
1st September 2009, 08:44 AM
Just 4 days to go...these days are passing too quickly!

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:csgPrEiWlfehBM:http://images.paraorkut.com/img/funnypics/images/h/homer_simpson_doh-12666.jpg

meebo1
1st September 2009, 09:05 AM
What time in the morning are you setting off?

yorkiesauctions
1st September 2009, 09:12 AM
What time in the morning are you setting off?

Unfortunately I couldn't afford to pay for a bed and breakfast so I will have to get up at 2am and set off at 3am to get there in time to register and be at the starting point for 6am, I've allowed an extra hour just in case we hit any problems when driving there.

It's not perfect and it's going to make for a long tough day but it adds to the challenge. lol

meebo1
1st September 2009, 09:14 AM
:eek::eek::eek:

bykimbo
1st September 2009, 09:15 AM
Is it too late to get B&B or a cheap hotel if we did a separate whip-round to pay for it?

meebo1
1st September 2009, 09:18 AM
I thought the same, Kim, after I recovered from the shock

yorkiesauctions
1st September 2009, 09:27 AM
Is it too late to get B&B or a cheap hotel if we did a separate whip-round to pay for it?

Yeah they'll all be booked now by the other walkers doing the walk, but thanks for the offer lass, a very kind thought. Besides I think folk on here have been brilliant and already done more than enough to support me, I'm gobsmacked by how much folk have done for me.

I would have been able to book a room but it's cost me well over £200 to register and get everything I needed for the walk. It shouldn't be a problem though because I don't sleep very well anyway and am used to just having a few hours sleep. Plus, I should sleep well Saturday night. lol

bykimbo
1st September 2009, 09:36 AM
Okey doke. Maybe we should have that whip-round for a pair of nice soft slippers a couple of sizes bigger than usual, instead? ;)

yorkiesauctions
1st September 2009, 09:40 AM
Okey doke. Maybe we should have that whip-round for a pair of nice soft slippers a couple of sizes bigger than usual, instead? ;)

lol, I'd prefer a nice lass to massage the aches and pains away. lol

bykimbo
1st September 2009, 09:42 AM
What a shame I don't actually *know* the lady with the rack. ;)

yorkiesauctions
1st September 2009, 09:45 AM
What a shame I don't actually *know* the lady with the rack. ;)

Tut!, build a blokes hopes up and then shoot him down. :rolleyes:

shezz
1st September 2009, 10:08 AM
i'll put in no worries

shezz
1st September 2009, 10:09 AM
whoops missed the second page

yorkiesauctions
1st September 2009, 10:30 AM
whoops missed the second page

lol, I've been missing the second page for most of my life, it explains a few things. lol

Thanks anyway lass. :)

yorkiesauctions
1st September 2009, 12:26 PM
Off back to work soon but before I do...

Thank You for the donation Kimbo, it is appreciated. :)

yorkiesauctions
2nd September 2009, 09:36 PM
Three days to go!... Might go for a short walk tomorrow if I have time, just to keep the muscles and joints limber. lol

pearlygirl555
3rd September 2009, 01:07 AM
You'll be happy to have kept everything toned & limber on Saturday, when you are leaving those twentysomethings in your dust...or maybe, in your mud :eek::p

Are they still calling for rain?

yorkiesauctions
3rd September 2009, 11:36 AM
You'll be happy to have kept everything toned & limber on Saturday, when you are leaving those twentysomethings in your dust...or maybe, in your mud :eek::p

Are they still calling for rain?

The weather there has been poor all week and is forecast to continue like that for the next few days. :(

Check the webcam link I posted in the new thread and you'll see what I mean. It's gonna make taking any half decent photos pretty hard.

yorkiesauctions
3rd September 2009, 05:15 PM
WooHoo!, I've just reached the £600 mark on the sponsorship. :D

This is going better than I ever dreamt it would. :)

Considering that just £10 pays for one online session for a child or young adult to talk with an NSPCC expert I think that is brilliant and we're guaranteed to have helped a child somewhere along the way. 60 sessions must surely reap some good don't you think?

bykimbo
3rd September 2009, 05:30 PM
That's seriously impressive, and a testimony to the work and enthusiasm you've put in already. Just the easy bit to do now. ;)

meebo1
3rd September 2009, 07:48 PM
It'll be soooo easy

yorkiesauctions
4th September 2009, 03:26 AM
That's seriously impressive, and a testimony to the work and enthusiasm you've put in already. Just the easy bit to do now. ;)

I'm dead chuffed with amount, it's folks big hearts and generosity that's responsible for it lass.

Yeah not long left now for the easy bit, I'm glad I saved the easy bit until last. :o

I've been a bit tactical tonight ( err, last night). I've only had a couple of hours sleep because hopefully I'll be able to go to bed this afternoon and sleep through to 1 or 2 am and that way I will have had a proper nights sleep before I set off to the Dales at 3am. That's if everything goes to plan. :o

I had some pasta yesterday and I'm going to have some more later today, that should help my energy levels on the walk. I also have some Powerade energy drinks to take with me and some bananas and some chocolate biscuits to nibble on as I walk and increase my blood sugar levels. I can get bottled water at each of the three checkpoints on the walk. I think I've thought of everything.

I'm just hoping that the mountain might have shrunk from all the rain that they've had there in the last couple of weeks. :D

yorkiesauctions
4th September 2009, 03:32 AM
It'll be soooo easy

Aye it will lass. I'll be skipping my way through the lovely countryside on a beautiful summers day, the animals will be running along by my side spurring me on and supporting me. The rams will run ahead and butt any obstacles out of my way to make my route easier, and the birds will land on my shoulders and grip my clothes and then flutter their wings and slightly lift me off the floor so that I am floating on air as I start to climb the mountain.

Then I'll chuffin wake up and start to panic ! :eek::D

meebo1
4th September 2009, 05:48 AM
In less than 24 hours it'll all be reality

deltadelta48
4th September 2009, 05:55 AM
Good luck on your walk! I wish we could all you along with you (maybe a little webcamera on yer cap so we could enjoy the walk too)?

yorkiesauctions
4th September 2009, 11:35 AM
Good luck on your walk! I wish we could all you along with you (maybe a little webcamera on yer cap so we could enjoy the walk too)?

lol, if the weather permits I will be taking photos and will post a link to them on here once I've uploaded them. :)

yorkiesauctions
4th September 2009, 01:56 PM
Right I've done all my final checks and packed everything that I'll need except for food and drink which I'll do just before I set off.

A slight drawback though, I've just noticed that one of my boots has a quarter inch rip in the side of it, I must have done it when clambering over the rocks the other day. I've nowt to fix it with and no other walking boots so I'll just have to make do. :rolleyes:

I'm going to shave my head and have a nice long relaxing soak in a very hot bath and then I'm of to bed to get as much sleep as I can. I'm hoping that I'll sleep through to 2am because I stayed up most of the night last night to make sure that was tired this afternoon.

I'll be setting off at 3am and the walk starts at 6am. I'll be dropping my daughter a textnow and again (if I can get a signal) and she will post short updates on my profile on Facebook, so if anyone on my friends list would like to post the updates on eBid I'd appreciate it. :)

I think that's about it.

Catch you later folks. ;)

tjsprinting
4th September 2009, 03:51 PM
All the best Frank, we will be here shouting you on and racking in the sponsor and YDC monies. You do your bit and we will do ours.
Go for it!
xx

moonwitch
4th September 2009, 08:14 PM
Saturday is my 'de-clutter and clean everything in sight' day

but just for Frank and the kiddies the flat is going to stay a grubby mess for a bit longer while I cheer him on:D

yorkiesauctions
5th September 2009, 01:24 AM
lol, thank you folks. :)

Sunny, don't be chuffin blaming me for the mess lass! :D

yorkiesauctions
5th September 2009, 01:29 AM
I'm setting off in a few minutes, just waiting for me lift.

I'm a bit nervous, mainly about the heights thing, but I can't wait to get started now. Nothing can stop me completing the walk so the next time I post it will be after walking 25 miles and climbing a mountain. :D

Have a good day folks. ;)