Mark
27th May 2003, 07:51 AM
PPPay www.pppay.com

* No charge for receiving Instant or Escrow payments
* No charge for sending and receiving internal Instant payments
* 49p or 1% above £49.00 to upload or download funds from your bank account
* Sending funds through Escrow payments £1.49 or 3% above £50

PPPay.com Payment Methods:

Instant Payments If you feel comfortable with the person you are sending money to this is the easy and fast way to send money. You enter the person receiving the money's email address, the amount to be sent and press go - Payment is then made and received instantly.

Escrow Payments - Dictionary defination. Money held by a third party until the conditions of an agreement are met. For instance, pending the completion of a purchase, the payment for the goods will be held in escrow

As a seller, PPPay.com protects you from fraudulent buyers, and helps to establish you as a trustworthy seller - preventing the potential stalemate that can occur when you are unable to physically meet with the buyer to conduct the exchange.

If you are purchasing from anyone who insists on you sending the money before the goods are sent - watch out! You should insist on using an escrow service, or be prepared to lose your money. The rate of fraud on the Internet is growing rapidly. If a seller is reluctant to use an escrow service it should ring alarm bells !

djrickyc
27th May 2003, 11:02 AM
Just to back up the propagander, I am getting to like PPPay.com, no stupid fees for the seller like there is with Paypal!

:D

RJC

Surfdudescooby
5th June 2003, 04:32 PM
I've had a quick look around the PPPay site and I cant see anything that says what types of cards you can sign up with? credit ?debit? which type of debit cards etc . anyone help?

djrickyc
5th June 2003, 06:32 PM
Pretty much any card you want to use can be

Richard

OnestBob
24th June 2003, 08:27 AM
A buyer of 5 lots based in Scotland has said pppay refused his card because "Scottish cards cannot be checked" ( I think he means verified).
So he paid via Paypal instead & the auction matter is nicely completed.

I have only been registered with pppay for a short while but no payments received so far.

I continue to be amazed by the high % of my auction sales made to Scotland - Including Glasgow & Edinburgh so it's not all people in the highlands and islelands.

Are there serious restrictions on cards that can be used???

designedbyfrances
24th June 2003, 01:20 PM
I'm in Scotland with a Scottish Bank and my card is accepted as a seller without any problems, so with that in mind I find it a bit strange that your buyer had problems with theirs, surely if a Scots card is accepted as a seller then surely it can also be as a buyer................

I say seller because I haven't tried to buy anything through it yet.

Interested in G or M's reply to this one.

designedbyfrances
24th June 2003, 01:20 PM
I'm in Scotland with a Scottish Bank and my card is accepted as a seller without any problems, so with that in mind I find it a bit strange that your buyer had problems with theirs, surely if a Scots card is accepted as a seller then surely it can also be as a buyer................

I say seller because I haven't tried to buy anything through it yet.

Interested in G or M's reply to this one.

maythe4th
24th June 2003, 07:38 PM
Well I registered for PPPay - now I want to change my registered e-mail address and basically you cannot. I am not impressed so would someone please give me the link either to change the e-mail address as I will not have my registered one beyond the next couple of days, or how to close the account as it is no use to me with an invalid e-mail address. Thanks.

maythe4th
24th June 2003, 07:38 PM
Well I registered for PPPay - now I want to change my registered e-mail address and basically you cannot. I am not impressed so would someone please give me the link either to change the e-mail address as I will not have my registered one beyond the next couple of days, or how to close the account as it is no use to me with an invalid e-mail address. Thanks.

blackwid0w
4th July 2003, 04:26 PM
I've just had my first payment through it and it was easy enough to use.
My only worry was for buyers who are unable to read or perhaps just a little keen to get their hands on their merchandise.
I had to accept or deny the payment. The message for deny stated that the sender would only get their payment back and not the fee which I thought was a bit off.
The EOA emails from eBid have 2 links to pay via PPPay (yes, I know it says check before sending) so I imagine a few people sending payments regardless of whether the seller has an account and for myself, my email address is different from my eBid one and although I mention it in my listings and my emails, buyers still use the wrong one when paying by Nochex or Paypal sometimes. At least with those ones you get a full refund so that you can send it to the correct one wothout penalty.

Message for maythe4th, there is an email contact for the site site_question@pppay.com and I have used it myself and had a reply.

Hope that helps

CJ

maythe4th
6th July 2003, 04:45 PM
Yeah I know about the e-mail address - I e-mailed them several times and got no response at all ... and oddly enough my couple of posts highlighting this on the boards have been ignored by the owners of Ebid as well.

maythe4th
Yeah I know about the e-mail address - I e-mailed them several times and got no response at all ... and oddly enough my couple of posts highlighting this on the boards have been ignored by the owners of Ebid as well.

maythe4th

maythe4th

gazlannathai
7th July 2003, 03:26 PM
Agree with all those quoting sloppy service from pppay (sounds a bit like a stuttering market vendor).
I had problems logging in after sign up but did after bombarding them with emails, get reply advising to delete all temporary internet files via my browser - worked - but I also lost all the really useful cookies stored with them.
After finally getting in I had problems verifying my card as a seller - turns ou that UK financial institutions WILL NOT LET YOU USE VISA ELECTRON on the web - even though the banks issuing instructions say it is for electronic transactions only.
pppppppppppay stuttered something about t's & c's requiring cardholder to be present at the time of transaction - had same problem at fastpay (also UK payment house), yet netbanx and paypal (not UK owned) took it no problem, so do suppliers in North America and various facilities in Asia.
Possibly the Scottish buyer was using Visa Electron as well.
This is a major issue for UK financial institutions - dilemma = how can they increase transactions (thus fees) without issuing credit cards to everyone as some people don't want the credit and others cannot repay it.
Personally, I don't want one and prefer cash or other forms of paper money (e.g. cheques) but I reluctantly got the debit card for online stuff .... and keep getting stuffed by British money houses - goes to show UK finance has fallen behind the rest of the world.

FastPay finally got round it by using the direct debit system, but 14 days later I'm still waiting for that magic button to appear and let me input the verification code - back to sending emails every 10 minutes until I get a response ..... time for the next one
bye all

gazlannathai
Agree with all those quoting sloppy service from pppay (sounds a bit like a stuttering market vendor).
I had problems logging in after sign up but did after bombarding them with emails, get reply advising to delete all temporary internet files via my browser - worked - but I also lost all the really useful cookies stored with them.
After finally getting in I had problems verifying my card as a seller - turns ou that UK financial institutions WILL NOT LET YOU USE VISA ELECTRON on the web - even though the banks issuing instructions say it is for electronic transactions only.
pppppppppppay stuttered something about t's & c's requiring cardholder to be present at the time of transaction - had same problem at fastpay (also UK payment house), yet netbanx and paypal (not UK owned) took it no problem, so do suppliers in North America and various facilities in Asia.
This is a major issue for UK financial institutions - dilemma = how can they increase transactions (thus fees) without issuing credit cards to everyone as some people don't want the credit and others cannot repay it.
Personally, I don't want one and prefer cash or other forms of paper money (e.g. cheques) but I reluctantly got the debit card for online stuff .... and keep getting stuffed by British money houses - goes to show UK finance has fallen behind the rest of the world.

FastPay finally got round it by using the direct debit system, but 14 days later I'm still waiting for that magic button to appear and let me input the verification code - back to sending emails every 10 minutes until I get a response ..... time for the next one
bye all

gazlannathai

bye all

gazlannathai

bye all

www-auctions
7th July 2003, 07:52 PM

You can use Visa Electron with Paypal.

www-auctions

www-auctions

www-auctions

gazlannathai
8th July 2003, 09:52 AM
Yes - you can use Electron with pay-up-pal but only via a non-UK site - i.e. pay-up-pal.co.uk does not take it.

I had to go in through America ( .com) to do it and then they still wanted direct debit, electric bill, drivers license, passport & other proof of ID including bank statements

But they didn't ask for any of it until they'd collected the sign up fee :(

gazlannathai
Yes - you can use Electron with pay-up-pal but only via a non-UK site - i.e. pay-up-pal.co.uk does not take it.

I had to go in through America ( .com) to do it and then they still wanted direct debit, electric bill, drivers license, passport & other proof of ID including bank statements

gazlannathai

gazlannathai

dulwich-herbs
25th July 2003, 09:38 AM
Coming in late on this... but Nochex takes electron cards.... I tried to get an account, couldn't, emailed them to say "oy you!!!" and a couple of weeks later was able to join up with the electron card.
I think they'll all come around to it eventually.....

:D

Sophia

gazlannathai
25th July 2003, 03:12 PM
Yep you're right Sophia

I signed up with nochex a few days ago - painless registration using Electron. Have also been on the case with fastpay and pppay - they're looking into it after I sent them details of how many ASIAN countries prefer Electron - it's THE trendy plastic in Thailand this year ( :D :) :lol: Thailand - the Land of Smiles)

If you dont have an Electron card here - you're a nobody, a loser, a complete sadster, and you don't get invited to all the best riverside and beachfront restaurants - Am is EX, Access got exit-ed, and only the dead Switched to Solo over here.

Electron is IN in Asia and Latin America - BIG TIME - when will the UK wake up to the fact it is a lot safer for the issuer and the card holder? Why do the banks issue notices saying Electron is for ELECTRONIC transactions ONLY - errrrrr like is the Internet electronic?

Gaz (on a soap box) in Lan Na, Thailand

shockv2
26th July 2003, 08:40 PM
I signed up to NoChex pretty easily as I got my Barclays bank down the road :) ...So I just went and checked how much they took out and finished all transactions nice and simple :) Easy sign up :o

sydneylights
31st July 2003, 02:59 PM
:? 8) 8) :? Did I read it right? Did one of my fellow Ebidders say there was a join up fee for joining PPPay???????I hope not. I have just signed up and don't want to be saddled with any fees whatsoever...I have no idea how it works.. Perhaps some one can enlighten me. Thanks Sydney

gazlannathai
31st July 2003, 07:26 PM
A fee is charged by all of the online payment systems to check that you've given them a valid credit or debit card, or bank account for direct debit, normally (but not with every service - e.g. pay-up-pal) it is credited to your online account.
So if they do a test transaction of say 49p, you use that value as a confirmation that it is your card or bank account and they then put in into your account as if a buyer had bought something.
As long as you then have other deposits and can build up a minimum transfer balance, you don't lose anything.
:!:
:idea: I extracted the current costs and fees etc from the major service providers and put them in a table on my website at -
http://www.gazlannathai.com/Auctions/payonline.htm
so that you can check them at a glance.

It's not a complete list as the site is still newish - but watch it for updates.
Regards
Gaz

blackwid0w
31st July 2003, 07:43 PM
That's a very nice looking site Gaz, just one thing I noticed and that's that PPPay.com do NOT credit your account with the initial charge.
It is kept by them as an administration charge.

CJ

sydneylights
31st July 2003, 07:46 PM
:shock: :P 8) Thanks a lot Gazla. I don't think I registered properley with PPPay anyway there seems to be some difficulty.However it's not important now. I read your Web page and think I would be much better of with Nat. Wests Fast Pay. Thanks a million. Sydney.

gazlannathai
31st July 2003, 08:00 PM
Oops - you're right on that one BlackWid0w

It slipped past me in the editing - I'll get it fixed - only one problem.....
I can't remember their initial fee - £2.50 seems to ring a bell but that could be for the crowd favoured the "other side site"

Any clues anyone? :?:

blackwid0w
31st July 2003, 08:32 PM
It's £2.50 to become a seller on eBid but the sign up fee is random on PPPay.com because the figure is used as a security passcode thingy (to give it it's technical name) :lol:

CJ

johnwash1
17th August 2003, 12:27 PM
Oops - you're right on that one BlackWid0w

It slipped past me in the editing - I'll get it fixed - only one problem.....

Just visited your site to see the comparisons (useful, thanks) but I notice that you've ignored BlackWidow's info and are still showing PPPay as refunding the "verification fee".

If you aren't passionate about correcting such slips, how trustworthy is the rest of your info? Which would be a big disappointment -- the idea of a comparison table is such an excellent one and must have taken quite a bit of effort to create in the first place.

gazlannathai
17th August 2003, 04:38 PM
Hey JohnWash1 - some empathy huh?

Note a few points please - I live and work in Thailand where unlike the western world, you have to not only pay the most expensive telecom charges in Asia, but you also have to pay per minute for internet access through your provider. On top of that, I teach in 3 faculties of a University and we've just exited exam season during which I spent every waking minute of the last three weeks in exam rooms or grading papers - so I've been busy - OK?
The comparison service on my site is a free service, commentaries are based on what I have experienced in trying to deal with locationally prejudiced service providers back in Europe (esp the comments about Pay-up-Pal - if I was to show the Thai government what Pay-up-Pal's rep said about Asian economies and banking systems, then NO american would ever get an entry visa into Thailand again - from a Brit expat's viewpoint that's not such a bad idea, maybe?).

I will fix the site, I've said that, and I do apologise that it's taking so long.
Please understand the site is in development, it's not been submitted to any search engines yet, and eBid members are the only people aware of it's existence - if they use this thread of the forum - therefore there is no desire to con anyone or mislead them.
As a professional author, journalist, and university level teacher, I know that no matter how many times you proof read something, there are always mistakes that other people find - it's why publishing houses employ proof readers and copy editors.
It's also why I was pleased that BlackWid0w found the mistake as early as she did - the correction requirement is on the to-do-list and will be done - just as soon as I get the chance to catch up on some sleep and social life.
Until then, more apologies to anyone who notices it's not yet done, and more thanks to BW for posting the correction here.

Grumpy and tired Gaz

johnwash1
17th August 2003, 06:49 PM
Hey JohnWash1 - some empathy huh?

Sorry, I probably didn't put it mega-tactfully, though I did try to say that I really appreciated that it must have taken significant effort and thanked you.

Anyhow, thanks for the insights also. I must admit that except for perhaps one American, I'd no idea there was anyone around here from outside the UK. A very very pleasant surprise.

Points about proofreading I empathise with very easily. I wish I didn't spot some of my own mistakes just after hitting the 'submit' button! :D

gazlannathai
18th August 2003, 01:55 PM
Thanks - now I've had some sleep I'm not so grumpy

I've posted the update and also added a link into this forum so that people can not only get more opinion info about the different payment services, but also have an extra reason to visit eBay and hopefully join.

Gotta go - more student assignments landed this afternoon and they have to be returned Wednesday - ho hum - and all this for 100 quid a week :( who'd be a teacher in Thailand huh?

So help me out and buy my stuff (link below) then maybe next year I can get back to the UK and visit mum who hasn't seen me for four years (she handles the payments end of stuff on my auctions as she's in the UK)

gazlannathai
18th August 2003, 02:03 PM
:oops: WAAAAUUUUGGGHHHHHHH

Oh no - did I really make that typo?

G&M - I'm on my knees before the computer bending my head for separation from my body because it's so useless.

Sorry everyone - my dyslexic (?) fingers did their own thing and put the name of the opposition in the last post - It should of course have read EBID NOT EBAY ..... That's -

eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid

Please forgive me O masters of the superior auction and thy humble servant will be forever grateful

I shall now change into sack-cloth and cover my head in ashes, and walk barefoot around the city 12 times chanting the mantra of penance

eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid eBid

gazlannathai
31st August 2003, 07:24 AM
Has anyone been able to get a Visa Electron card into the seller registration at ppPay yet?

Months ago they said they'd try to get that card added to the seller registration options (like it says in the help files) but mine still is not accepted - decidedly shoddy this is.

gazlannathai
9th September 2003, 03:45 PM
Hmmm

Was it perchance my last entry (immediately above) that has prompted our auction masters to change the sponsor link from the stuttering market vendors (ppppppppppay) to the one we're all praising - FastPay
????

See top left corner of all forum pages

Gaz