Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 44 of 136 FirstFirst ... 34353637383940414243444546474849505152535494 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Ebay Finally Shot Itself In the Foot?

Forum Diehard
    View ArtisanUK's Feedback (+49)
    All-About ArtisanUK
    View ArtisanUK's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm a bit lost here Ken as to how to stay with it or 'pitch in' any more without the support of management?

If items are being listed in the wrong categories, and those items are neither selling (thereby not earning FVF's for the site) plus it detracts from new sellers coming to the site and also stops the ones that are supporting the site from both buying and selling - then how on earth can this be viewed as good business practice?

I'm at a loss - honest to God I am. We have the perfect opportunity, time-wise, to jump in and steal e...s antique, collectables and art dealers, and so far it is a complete cock-up. Yet, nobody actually benefits from this - nobody.

I would be the happiest woman to see the listings filled with a broad spectrum of used products, it can be nothing but beneficial, but so far all I can see is that I am being constantly asked to promote the site but am not being supported by the management.
    If they don't care, then why should we?

Is this a case of eBid simply wanting to reflect the 'store' mentality of e..., because it's certainly starting to feel like it.
    Does no-one care, business wise, that a whole market is essentially being dissuaded from selling and buying here?

The team at eBid is very small, and probably doesn't have the 'expertise' to determine what is the best way to arrange every single category. You say sepearating Art & Antiques was the wrong move, from my point of view they are totally seperate, so things may not be as simple as you imagine.
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

Forum Diehard
    All-About ArtisanUK
    Forum Posts

This 'team' isn't too big either, Ken, but sure as hell it could email 6 or 7 people and ask them to put their goods in the correct dateline categories.

I don't really think it is fair to ask folk to take up their time reporting items that are in the wrong categories and then completely ignoring it.

Let's face facts, the issue just isn't seen as important to eBid.

Regarding separating Art and Antiques - Maybe we do see them as separate, but it has worked, and very successfully, on e... for a lot of years. Now, all I can go on is my experience since splitting them and that is to say I have sold nothing, zilch, nadda, zero, since the categories were split.

Would somebody please tell me why it is worth sticking around ... or for that matter why Antiques and Art dealers should come to this site. I really, dearly, would love to know, because I don't think asking for reproduction antiques/art to be shifted out of date-line categories is a big deal.

West Bromwich, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View merlin's Feedback (+3081)
    All-About merlin
    View merlin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ArtisanUK View Post
    This 'team' isn't too big either, Ken, but sure as hell it could email 6 or 7 people and ask them to put their goods in the correct dateline categories.

I don't really think it is fair to ask folk to take up their time reporting items that are in the wrong categories and then completely ignoring it.

Let's face facts, the issue just isn't seen as important to eBid.

Regarding separating Art and Antiques - Maybe we do see them as separate, but it has worked, and very successfully, on e... for a lot of years. Now, all I can go on is my experience since splitting them and that is to say I have sold nothing, zilch, nadda, zero, since the categories were split.

Would somebody please tell me why it is worth sticking around ... or for that matter why Antiques and Art dealers should come to this site. I really, dearly, would love to know, because I don't think asking for reproduction antiques/art to be shifted out of date-line categories is a big deal.
    you want items moving yet you can`t be bothered to send a message to each seller and say that if these are not put into correct catagories you will be forced to report each one , this will take a few minutes a day to do it does not need to be done all one day one or two a day pointing out where they should be

Forum Diehard
    All-About ArtisanUK
    Forum Posts

Dave, since I've already spent my time pressing the report button and sending it off to eBid only for nothing to happen, why do you think my emailing each buyer and telling them would help? Also, since when is it my place to tell sellers they are listing in the wrong categories - that is what the report button is for, isn't it? Been there - done that.

The responsibility for items being wrongly listed, isn't mine. That is ebid's responsibility (and of course the sellers concerned) please don't try to make it mine - I've already done my bit and to absolutely no avail.

It's no point having a thread where we are pointing out that ebay are shooting themselves in the foot and finding that we are doing it ourselves. I have no time for hurting personal sensibilities, but this is business and at this precise moment in time nobody can do anything about this apart from eBid management.

Forum Diehard
    View kedo's Feedback (+4128)
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ArtisanUK View Post
    Dave, since I've already spent my time pressing the report button and sending it off to eBid only for nothing to happen, why do you think my emailing each buyer and telling them would help? Also, since when is it my place to tell sellers they are listing in the wrong categories - that is what the report button is for, isn't it? Been there - done that.

The responsibility for items being wrongly listed, isn't mine. That is ebid's responsibility (and of course the sellers concerned) please don't try to make it mine - I've already done my bit and to absolutely no avail.

It's no point having a thread where we are pointing out that ebay are shooting themselves in the foot and finding that we are doing it ourselves. I have no time for hurting personal sensibilities, but this is business and at this precise moment in time nobody can do anything about this apart from eBid management.
    ArtisanUK, why aren't you posting this on the 'A Major Gripe' thread? I thought everyone had lost interest in this issue until I just happened to look here.
    Last edited by kedo; 7th May 2008 at 12:27 PM.

Forum Diehard
    All-About ArtisanUK
    Forum Posts

... don't know. Well, I do know why I'm not posting in the other thread ... nowt happens.

Here I think I just got mad that everybody was talking about how eBay was shooting itself in the foot without actually looking at how eBid was doing it. Maybe we need a bit of introspection?

Plus, all things considered, no matter what eBay does, until we provide a viable, professional alternative and beat them at their own game in every category, then they may lose listings, but we aren't permanently going to gain them.

I've bought loads of stuff from the t'other side in the past few weeks, not because I didn't want to buy it here, simply because it wasn't listed. Try looking up a certain make of underwear beginning with S and having a couple of GG's in the middle - 2 items on this site, hundreds on the other.

I, like most other people, do not identify myself as simply a buyer or seller of a particular item. Although I'm presuming eBid see me as a 'second-hand' dealer, I actually purchase other items. But would I consider listing other things on here going by my experiences in the second hand market - quite possibly not.
    It's a self-perpetuating problem.

Forum Diehard
    View kedo's Feedback (+4128)
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Actually things do happen (in my experience). It's just a matter of getting enough sellers together and making a very clear case for whatever. Timing seems to make a difference too!

Pontefract, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View astro941's Feedback (+27)
    All-About astro941
    View astro941's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kedo View Post
    Actually things do happen (in my experience). It's just a matter of getting enough sellers together and making a very clear case for whatever. Timing seems to make a difference too!
    A bit off subject but I have just browsed your listings and have to say well done for the hard work you must have put in and you certainly get viewed.

I think we are going to build this site, it takes perseverance, commitment and some hard work. My other point is that every seller who is leaving ebay are also/were buyers.

Les Smith
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/httpukebid...941-Collectors

Forum Diehard
    All-About ArtisanUK
    Forum Posts

I don't know how to make it clearer Kedo or how long it is going to take, but it does seem that we have missed the boat regarding timing. When ebay set up the last lot of changes I had loads of folk asking me how I was doing on here compared to there ... what can I say. Now they just ain't popping in anymore.

... and to be honest, it does seem to be a little stupid of me to be the one sticking my head up and taking the leap over here (the others won't) and then getting, what feels to be, a bit of a slap in the face for it. Metaphorically speaking.

I've got bills to pay just like everybody else ... practicalities come first and foremost.

Thread Information