My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: PayPal to ban old internet browsers

Exclamation PayPal to ban old internet browsers

PayPal, eBay's electronic payment service, plans to take the dramatic step of locking out people using older versions of Web browsers in order to stem phishing attacks.

PayPal said a "significant" group of people still use Microsoft's Internet Explorer 3, released in 1996, and IE 4, which debuted in 1997. Those browsers lack a phishing filter, which can block users from accessing a reported phishing Web site.

"In our view, letting users view the PayPal site on one of these browsers is equal to a car manufacturer allowing drivers to buy one of their vehicles without seatbelts," according to a paper released during the RSA security conference in San Francisco earlier this month.

MORE
    Is it up to PayPal to dictate what software a user has on their computer, or are they justified in trying to cut down on cyber-crime?

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    Is it up to PayPal to dictate what software a user has on their computer, or are they justified in trying to cut down on cyber-crime?
    I think that is totally wrong. We can't all afford Microsoft's ways of upgrading every year or so.

West Bromwich, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View merlin's Feedback (+3081)
    All-About merlin
    View merlin's Listings
    Forum Posts

had me worried then saying they gonna ban old browsers cos i come in that catagory

They will be telling you that you can only use a computer bought
    on greedbay next !!! LOL - Don't think 'freedom of choice' comes into their vocabulary over there any more does it?!

Default Old "I'm in my prime"

This is a pathetic move to make us all spend more money on an overpriced accessory that we don't need!!!!!

I think it's just another step for feeby & poopal to rule the world, so I say get stuffed feeby and poopascooperpal and stop trying to take control of peoples decissions. (I cannot put the real words I am thinking, I will get banned)

Forum Lurker
    View cvd's Feedback (+10)
    All-About cvd
    View cvd's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi,

Supported browsers are free folks. If you have been told to pay money for them, you have been lied to bigtime!

Firefox, IE6, 7 and Opera are the mainstream supported browser by online payment sites. I put IE6 on my wife's Win98SE box for guess what... FREE!
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...s/default.mspx

PayPal has openly said they support Opera and were going to give even older Safari browsers the boot (Mac people, you do have to pay for Safari - go FF or Opera)

As someone who has had to bailout clients boxes time and again from browser exploits, this is actually a very good move

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/
    http://www.opera.com/

Cheers!

Barnsley, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View DaisyChain's Feedback (+76)
    All-About DaisyChain
    View DaisyChain's Listings
    Forum Posts

I agree with cvd, i see it as a good move, I would of thought most people if they still use explorer would be past IE 4 by now anyway
    Click here to see my items for Sale!
    Amiga, Mega Drive, Playstation Games and More!

I upgraded to IE7 when I first heard about it.
    Known Phishing sites are indicated by a pink strip at the top. You can also report Phishing Sites usung the toolbar. I have given up reporting scams to Banks as the majority of them ignore the information and don't even bother to reply.
    Micrs**t usually takes 4 hours to act, and the site is marked by the pink strip.

Thread Information