eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving Dinners?

Default Thanksgiving Dinners?

Hey all,

As we're coming up to Thanksgiving in the US, I'm planning on doing a Thanksgiving dinner for family (we're moving out there in the next few years).

So can any of our members from across the pond tell me what generally is served? I get the whole turkey thing, presumably there's no Yorkshire puddings!!!

Stix N String - providing 100% of your recommended daily yarn allowance

PROUD supporters of Ebid - no fees = more yarn for your money

Hi, I really think it varies based on family preferences, ethnic background etc. My family prefers the standard of turkey, bread stuffing of some sort, potatoes (both white and sweet), cranberry sauce, hot rolls, green beans. Everyone brings a dessert so it varies from year to year and we always have too much but there is always a pumpkin pie, something chocolate, maybe an apple or cherry pie or a cheesecake. We always over do it and then everyone gets to bring a bit home!

Forum Master
    View poppa501's Feedback (+642)
    All-About poppa501
    View poppa501's Listings
    Forum Posts

Gingerjar pretty much nailed it. We like to have sweet potato soufle (sp?) and potato salad and brocolli casserole to the list. Sometimes biscuits (not cookies) and or cornbread in addition to the rolls.
    Poppa

Ours is a blend of Minnesota and California. Turkey with dressing, mashed potatoes with gravy, corn custard, green bean casserole, fruit salad, cranberry sauce, plus the nibblers, cheese with crackers, pickled herring, corn chips with salsa and guacamole, assortment of raw veggies with dip and unshelled nuts. And of course wine, beer, and mead. Pumpkin and pecan pie for dessert.

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by poppa501 View Post
    Gingerjar pretty much nailed it. We like to have sweet potato soufle (sp?) and potato salad and brocolli casserole to the list. Sometimes biscuits (not cookies) and or cornbread in addition to the rolls.
    Poppa
    Please, I would love a recipe for sweet potato soufflé. sounds yummy

Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View Huddylion's Feedback (+4843)
    All-About Huddylion
    View Huddylion's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by meebo1 View Post
    Please, I would love a recipe for sweet potato soufflé. sounds yummy

Yes it does come on poppa give give pretty pleaseeeeee
    My feedback of
    is 100% positive and has all been earnt here on Ebid

View VandTnut's Feedback (+7)
    All-About VandTnut
    View VandTnut's Listings
    Forum Posts

Actually, the menu is pretty much open to whatever you want to serve. The "turkey with all the trimmings" is the traditional dinner but lots of people will serve a second meat dish, a ham or prime rib, or may even dispense with the turkey all together. Side dishes vary from region to region and every family has favorites. The sweet potato souffle' sounds reeeaaaallllyyyyyy good. So does corn pudding. You are all making me very hungry. Off to raid the 'fridge.

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Could I have a recipe for corn pudding please? I do like to try new things and it sounds good

It's not easy to accomplish a Thanksgiving meal here in England and is much more expensive since a lot of the foods are common in America but specialty here.

I did our Thanksgiving dinner yesterday...one week minus a day early, had to fit into my eldest daughter's social life. A Thursday is a difficult day to get people together since it's not a national holiday here.

Because I always run late with my cooking, I make a hot spinach dip appetizer served in a carved out bread loaf - caraway rye or wholemeal bread with pumpkin seeds. It has smoked bacon, fresh parmesan and Philly cream cheese and is even a hit with starving teenagers!

I splurged and bought a fresh turkey with giblets this year. I hate liver so the cat and dog got that! The rest of the giblets are simmered for a long time then used in the gravy...yummy giblet gravy. (No Bisto allowed!) Don't throw away the neck, it's the best part of the gravy.

Because I was never too fond of (my mother's) soggy stuffing that everyone else loved, I make my own version plus a cornbread-sausage stuffing. A challenge to make here because no Jiffy mixes and no American breakfast sausage.

No canned pumpkin so the pie was off the list. (Though, last year I made a sweet potatoe (yam) pie and liked it better than pumpkin!) Pumpkin cheesecake is another nice alternative.

I make a creamy whole cranberry 'jello' salad with walnuts. This is another challenge to get right since Jello is unavailable - have to use jelly cubes, and (Ocean Spray) cranberry sauce comes in tiny expensive jars in the condiments section.

Chocolate cream pie made from scratch (no pudding mixes either) and I always make yeast rolls...a must, and they are delicious to make into little sandwiches with the left over turkey.

I also make my own hot buttered rum batter. So...we start the afternoon off with hot buttered rums. It all gets better from there.

It was a huge amount of work and I'm glad it's over. Today is my day of rest and recovery.

Wow! well done you! - Sounds delicious!!

I tried making cornbread once - tasted OK but was 'sad' - a bit of a disappointment, really!

(I'm oven roasting a mixture of sweet potato, yam, red onions and butternut squash for my dinner tonight - having it with a couple of stuffed mushrooms with parmesan topping. - I don't usually do veggie 'mains' but this has become one of my favourite feasts lately!)
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

Thread Information