eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eu starts action against government over phorm

Thumbs up Eu starts action against government over phorm

Greetings all,
    Today comes some of the best news ever so no apologies for starting a new thread. The European Information Commissioner Ms. Reding has started action against the British Government for its failure to implement the laws regarding interception and privacy in line with European directives. Read on at Nodpi

http://nodpi.org

https://nodpi.org/forum/index.php/to....html#msg12173

The battle is not over yet but this goes a bloody good way. On behalf of NODPI thank you to all who wrote letters and signed the petitions.

Come and join us at Nodpi we still need your help

thanks again

Jock

Forum Saint
    View RonOne's Feedback (+4296)
    All-About RonOne
    View RonOne's Listings
    Forum Posts

I tried the link to......

Re: Reuters, BBC: EU starts action against Britain over data privacy [Phorm]

But it doesn't seem to work.
    If I can not read it I can not have an opinion on it.

Sorry to have to ask - but what is PHORM please?
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

Chester - Le - Street, Durham, United Kingdom
    View Armstrongs's Feedback (+1436)
    All-About Armstrongs
    View Armstrongs's Listings
    Forum Posts

Just found this write up

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communicatio...9640222,00.htm

Yvonne x

Look here for Crafty Bits

Find the Beamish Bazaar here!

I'M A YDC SUPPORTER!
    Find eBid's monthly charity auctions HERE on the 24th!

Quote Originally Posted by JudesNiceThings View Post
    Sorry to have to ask - but what is PHORM please?
    Phorm is a company with system which can be used by them and your ISP to intecept everything you do on the internet. They want to use your browsing history to send you targetted adverts. The problem is not with the adverts but with the system itself. When this is in place you cannot avoid it. You cannot block it using adblock or anyother adblocker. It intercepts and records every website you visit. They claim it anonymizes any data so that it cannot be traced back to you but we dispute this as it places a cookie on your computer which contains information which is specific and could be used to trace you. The simplest way to describe it is this.

Your postman delivers letters to you. He know where to deliver them because of the address on the envelope.
    Data is sent across the internet in packets with your ip number on them ( think of it as your house number). The site you are visiting needs this number to know where to send the information back to you. The packet is sent unopened back to you using this number.

The postman knows where to deliver but not what is in the envelope.

The Phorm system OPENS the packet and reads the contents. Wpuld you like it if your postman opened and read your letters before handing them over. If the packet contains personal information, say you had been looking up a medical condition , then it would be read and Phorm and your ISP would have the information .

It is your ISP's job to act as the postman NOT spy on you

If you opt out of the system you only have Phorm's word ( not a good idea ) that your information will not be used or intercepted as whether opted in or out your data still passes through the system. Phorm were originally 121Media a well known spyware company so no one in their right mind would trust them or anything they say.

Jock

Forum Saint
    All-About RonOne
    View RonOne's Listings
    Forum Posts

The main question is......
    Do we want our privacy,
    or do we want the terrorists caught.

Quote Originally Posted by RonOne View Post
    The main question is......
    Do we want our privacy,
    or do we want the terrorists caught.
    This is nothing to do with terrorists or terrorism this is spying on your connection for commercial gain by commercial companies for their own profit. It has nothing to do with security or safety of the public this is purely greed . The government already keeps a log of your browsing activity and emails and that will catch no one in my view as it is easily cirumvented. No Phorm is spying for money and only money dont confuse the two systems.

Jock

Forum Saint
    All-About RonOne
    View RonOne's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jockjunior View Post
    This is nothing to do with terrorists or terrorism this is spying on your connection for commercial gain by commercial companies for their own profit. It has nothing to do with security or safety of the public this is purely greed . The government already keeps a log of your browsing activity and emails and that will catch no one in my view as it is easily cirumvented. No Phorm is spying for money and only money dont confuse the two systems.

Jock
    Thats your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by RonOne View Post
    Thats your opinion.
    Yes that is my opinion about the government system but it is nothing to do with Phorm.

Phorm is a commercial company spying or wishing to spy on web users for profit. I repeat this has nothing to do with terrorism or terrorists or threats to public safety. This is your ISP and Phorm attempting to make money out of your browsing habits with complete disregard for your privacy. That is what the European Commissioner has taken the government to task for, not protecting your interests against commercial concerns.
    For anyone else reading this thread. THIS IS NOT A MATTER OF NATIONAL SECURITY if you read the Commissioners statement you will see for yourselves it concerns the lack of proper application of the law by this government concerning illegal interception of communications by COMMERCIAL CONCERNS not lawful interception by security services or government departments.

The matter of interception of communications by government departments has nothing to do with this thread. This thread concerns only the illegal interception for profit by Phorm and the ISP's

Jock

Thread Information