Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Payment Provider to Use?

Forum Newbie
    All-About ssh85
    View ssh85's Listings
    Forum Posts

Cool What Payment Provider to Use?

Hey,

I am new to eBid, but am really keen to use it and have always used PayPal on eBay in the past - its a bit annoying if you dont already have an account but it never became a problem until I saw just how much I was paying in fees.

Therefore I was wanting to find out, of the three payment providers offered on eBid which is the overall favourite? Why do you choose to use it over the others, as rates are pretty similar across Google Checkout and PP what makes the difference? I guess more people already have paypal accounts but would that make you put up with the fees? Just wondered what the general opinion was really?

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

I take payments via BACS/Bank Transfer, Cheques & Postal Orders,
    NOCHEX, (see other thread), MoneyBookers & Google Checkout.
    [and PayPal only if I have to]

BACS because it's instant, secure and free to both sides (I have a seperate bank account set up purely to receive these payments)
    Now with 'faster payments' can be as quick as the main online payment processors..
    NOCHEX - buyers can send you card payments without having to register/NOCHEX also provide you with a direct payment link for this purpose.
    MoneyBookers is worldwide and takes just about all currencies - and if you use your referral link, you'll earn commission if your buyer registers!
    Google Checkout - easy to use, and the money's paid into your bank account straight away - but the fees now match PayPal

HTH

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

The simple fact is that you have to go with the buyers. They prefer PayPal so you really need to accept that (though at least it isn't compulsory here).

I would like to be able to recommend PPPay - but sadly can't. It's good for trading with other eBid sellers but it causes problems with normal buyers as it is not clear that they have to register before money that seems to have been paid actually is.

Google used to be good but they recently hiked their prices to mirror PayPal. I would still prefer to deal with Google over PayPal though.

Bottom line...The more options you provide to the user the better chance you have of making a sale.

I take anything I'm registered for.
    I like BACS, as it's free.
    I will also take cash, or unused stamps, if my buyers so wish!
    Why not take a quick look at my Stores?

Find all kinds of books HERE

Find 'Plus Size' Clothes HERE

Find NEW tiny Baby Stuff HERE

Find 'Bits & Bobs' HERE

Forum Lurker
    View Bitsofthis's Feedback (+50)
    All-About Bitsofthis
    View Bitsofthis's Listings
    Forum Posts

Ive personally stopped using Google Checkout, if you read about the changes you will find that you are more open now for chargebacks, just like Paypal, their fees have also risen to meet those of Paypal. Its got something to do with Ebay getting ready to allow sellers to have google checkout as a form of payment.

I use Nochex, PPPay and Moneybookers. Nochex would be the main one used. Im new to Ebid so im not sure what form of payment buyers prefer. I do refuse to use Paypal, I used to be on ebay and lost over £150 because of them. Same old story, buyer says they didnt get the item, I input the parcelforce tracking code that shows its delivered and the buyers own name as signature. Paypoo sided with the buyer and I lost out!

I just wonder how my sales will be affected with me not taking paypal.

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

There are options for international selling as well (Google Checkout only serves Britain and USA). AlertPay su pply services for all the eBid territories or Moneybookers is another option. Also there is Auctionchex, they are cheap, but slower as they understandably wait for the cheque/money order to clear before they pass the proceeds on.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsofythis View Post
    I just wonder how my sales will be affected with me not taking paypal.
    They could be affected - I've refused to accept PayPal for last 3-4 years after a similar experience and the fact that PayPal would not let me, under any circumstances, give my side of events - it was refund or we'll take it from your credit card

I think it did affect my sales both on here and elsewhere, for a while, until I signed up with Google.

Forum Lurker
    View Bitsofthis's Feedback (+50)
    All-About Bitsofthis
    View Bitsofthis's Listings
    Forum Posts

I am with another auction site and google checkout is rarely used as the form of payment, its mostly nochex or they send a personal cheque.

After googles changes I dont feel as comfortable to use them. As I said in another thread, the chances of a chargeback are higher, whereas before there was no risk! Also if this happens, you are charged for it!

The fees have also risen to meet paypal's fees.

I used to sing their praises, but not anymore.

Depending on sales, you could look at paypoint.net as you get charged a flat fee of £5 per month which gets you 100 "free" transactions and any transactions over the 100 are charged at a flat fee of 20p.

They offer other tiers as well
    £10 month > 350 free transaction then just 15p each
    £20 month > 500 free & then just 10p

View Opis's Feedback (+664)
    All-About Opis
    View Opis's Listings
    Forum Posts

Nearly all of my transactions are via Paypal. I get the odd Google Checkout/ cheque/ postal order/ cash.

My least favourite is Google Checkout; I don't find it user friendly if you don't know what you're doing, especially if you are a first time buyer/ seller (that's my experiance of it anyway).

The only method of payment I've never had a problem processing, believe it or not, is cash £ sent via recorded delivery! I love it. No fees, no chargebacks, no buyers writing out the cheque/ PO incorrectly (a nightmare), just dead easy, fast and no messing about!

I was very interested in accepting BACS - again for simple ease of use. However, I have heard of a scam involved with it (can't remember exactly what it was, but it seriously put me off using BACS - something to do with the buyer stealing your account numbers, and then they set up some kind of direct debit style thing for their mobile phone account or similar?).

Shame, as BACS seemed a very user friendly payment option

Thread Information