Thread: Which UK ISP is best? Pricing / package / reliability etc

Nakhon Ratchasima Thailand (Not Singapore), Singapore, United Kingdom
    View gazlannathai's Feedback (+796)
    All-About gazlannathai
    View gazlannathai's Listings
    Forum Posts

Question Which UK ISP is best? Pricing / package / reliability etc

Hi all

I've been doing some looking around the web trying to suss out which UK internet provider is offering the best deals, but it's a bit difficult to figure out who's actually offering the best service etc.

I'm wondering who you all use and how you find them from a business user stand point? Are there any ISP's you absolutely wouldn't use, or any that you simply gave up on and switched to someone else? Is it best to get your internet (broadband) off one company, and your telephone / TV from another?

I guess I've been a bit spoiled here in Thailand, where every broadband account has unlimited bandwidth regardless of the package you sign-up for, so you only actually worry about achieved speed, and persistence of connection (actually a bigger problem than speed here - especially the international connection). I've seen some of the bigger ISP's advertising broadband packages with 2GB and 10GB per month bandwidth and dressing them up like they're the bees knees - sorry boys and girls, but 2GB I can burn out in under an hour (and that's only with a 512Kbps / 2 Mbps connection), and 10GB I can guarantee burning through in an evening when I'm backing-up and upgrading my sites - these are nonsense-level monthly bandwidths to me.

I'm not that worried about these "up to" 16 Mbps advertised speeds - they can't be any worse than what I get off the local 2 Mbps account, although it'd be nice to find a service offering "guaranteed" 2Mbps (i.e. at 1:1 contention / not sharing the line with half the county), but so far I haven't found one.

So, from a non-techie, or from an Uber-techie, point of view (I can handle both ) - what's your take on the best suppliers and packages?

This is something I'd really like to have a handle on before I arrive back. An idea of prices at the same time would be helpful, please, if you don't mind sharing the info.

Gaz

Forum Saint
    North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, United Kingdom
    View Tiskets's Feedback (+1051)
    All-About Tiskets
    View Tiskets's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thank you for putting this question on as it is something I would like info on as well. So: Bump

Ok im with plus.net have phone and broadband with them, my monthly bill for the lot including line rental calls is from 18.00 to 23.00 depending on how many daytime calls i make.
    Reliability is very good only lost connection for 30 mins once in 18 months.

All-About gazlannathai
    Forum Posts

Thanks Baggie - when you say "lost connection" - was that a technical issue or did you burn up your bandwidth allowance?

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31499)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

I use two broadband providers, Virgin (cable) and BT (telephone) which are as fast as I need them to be, but neither is 100% constant, so hence I have two as a backup.
    We are due for optical fibre upgrade in this area.

I use Streamline.net to provide my webspace and domain servicing
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

The main problem with UK broadband is that it is, in the main, running over old copper wire. This severely limits the speeds that you can get and that speed falls off the further you are away from your local exchange.

If you end up in a cabled area then that is probably the best to go for. I think that means Virgin as your ISP - as I believe they are the only ones that run a cable service.

I am with them and consistently get the speed I pay for and it has always been reliable for me. It has never gone down in the years I have been using it (though my phone did go down once). The only (all too common) downside is the terrible first line support desk located on the Indian sub-continent if you do have problems or queries. Whatever ISP someone recommends there will always be others happy to recount their horror stories with that ISP.
    Last edited by astral276; 14th January 2011 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gazlannathai View Post
    Thanks Baggie - when you say "lost connection" - was that a technical issue or did you burn up your bandwidth allowance?
    No it was a local exchage issue.

All-About gazlannathai
    Forum Posts

OK - thanks everyone - keep the feedback coming please.

Bill - hosting and domains are no problem - I'm well covered there, will be ramping up my own hosting sales once I get back, connection to the servers is where I'm struggling to find a good deal/

Astral - have you got a URL for a Virgin coverage map? I couldn't find one when I looked during the week, just that dopey system of "click here to test your number" - Dohhh, that don't work for people trying to figure out where in the UK they want to live and be connected.

Thanks Baggie - that's reassuring (same issue as here then )

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gazlannathai View Post
    Astral - have you got a URL for a Virgin coverage map?)
    Well I Googled 'virgin cable coverage map' and got this: virgin cable coverage map.

That's just for the cable service. I expect their ADSL services is nationwide and no better or worse than anyone else's.

Never had any bother with AOL

Reincarnation is just another repeat

Thread Information