eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grrrrrrr dam banks

Leicester, Leicestershire, United Kingdom
    All-About LotT
    View LotT's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Grrrrrrr dam banks

My first bank was Giro, when it first started. It was sold to Alliance and Leicester... Then Santander bought A and L.

I also had an account with Abby.... Now Santander.

I have a Co-op bank account, the best one out of all of the above. Easy plain English 'rules' Friendly service/advice. Not 'pushy' with add on selling. Only been with them 5 or 6 years and so far excellent.

Forum Lurker
    View MelmacALF's Feedback (+76)
    All-About MelmacALF
    View MelmacALF's Listings
    Forum Posts

From my experience I think all banks are more or less the same. ie all fine right up till something goes wrong and your the one who then has to chase them to fix it.

So now I change my bank accounts/cards quite often (every 1 or 2 years depending on account type). In most cases there is no benefit to staying loyal, and I thnk in most cases, your actually worse off if you stay with them. Same goes for insurance, I change them every year to get the best value.
    Last edited by MelmacALF; 20th July 2012 at 08:09 AM.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MelmacALF View Post
    In most cases there is no benefit to staying loyal, and I thnk in most cases, your actually worse off if you stay with them. Same goes for insurance, I change them every year to get the best value.
    I don't think anywhere rewards customer loyalty any more. All they seem interested in is new business, and not keeping existing business. I must admit that I don't see the rational behind it - unless they are relying on customer inertia.

Morning all anyone been watching Bank on Dave?

If so what do you think?

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buttons-and-bows View Post
    They bought out LLoyds today so must be growing.

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    They are expanding into the energy supply market as well.

I wonder how I stand... Lloyds bought out Scottish Widows, and now Co-Op have bought out Lloyds. Does that mean the Co-Op now hold my life policy?
    I believe Lloyd's is not selling everything to the Co-op and are only selling a number of branches (mostly in Scotland,), with the customers registered at those branches, to keep the idiots running the EU happy. Don't think they are selling any of their insurance business

They are also selling the branches cheaply to get rid of them quickly so I wouldn't expect them to sell their most profitably branches
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

Forum Diehard
    View PetBazaar's Feedback (+41)
    All-About PetBazaar
    View PetBazaar's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBridger View Post

I believe Lloyd's is not selling everything to the Co-op and are only selling a number of branches (mostly in Scotland,), with the customers registered at those branches, to keep the idiots running the EU happy. Don't think they are selling any of their insurance business

They are also selling the branches cheaply to get rid of them quickly so I wouldn't expect them to sell their most profitably branches

Not 100% sure on the ins and outs of this one, but it's my understanding that they're offloading their old TSB branches. LloydsTSB will go back to being simply Lloyds and the Co-Op will own the TSB portion - but branded as TSB.

As said before, they're being sold on the cheap as the EU have instructed them to sell off branches as a result of receiving their state bailout.

Forum Diehard
    View PetBazaar's Feedback (+41)
    All-About PetBazaar
    View PetBazaar's Listings
    Forum Posts

I don't think anywhere rewards customer loyalty any more. All they seem interested in is new business, and not keeping existing business. I must admit that I don't see the rational behind it - unless they are relying on customer inertia.

Got it in one with the inertia bit. Case in point is the power industry. Despite moaning about electricity and gas prices being practically a national pastime in the UK, apparently something like 80-90% of all customers have never changed supplier.

So they (and the banks) take the time to chase the new customer, because they know that the existing customers aren't going anywhere - and will probably even tolerate a reduced service or higher bill in order to subsidise the new customer's freebie.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5873)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

The banks do, indeed, rely on customer inertia. You are statistically more likely to get divorced than to change your bank (I buck the trend - I've moved banks 4 times but only been married the once and never divorced)
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Forum Lurker
    View MelmacALF's Feedback (+76)
    All-About MelmacALF
    View MelmacALF's Listings
    Forum Posts

- unless they are relying on customer inertia.
    how true, they assume that most wont bother to move.

I must admit, I was a bit worried that changing banks might go all wrong and put it off for a few years, but once I switched once you find its actually very easy and Iv done it a few times now and not had a problem with switching yet :-)

Thread Information