eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think about Teachers getting end of term gifts

Default What do you think about Teachers getting end of term gifts

Just general infomation & feelings.
    I saw a programme last week & I think it is getting out of hand!!!

View MPS16's Feedback (+3501)
    All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: What do you think about Teachers getting end of term gifts

The worlds gone mad.
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    And freedom tastes of reality
    I'm free-I'm free
    And I'm waiting for you to follow me

TOMMY

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

My granddaughter is a teacher. She thinks it's great
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Is this another import of a custom from America?

Dropped son off this morning and there were a few there with gifts and cards. We did not bother. I have just left teaching at a college, for me the best gift was seeing students achieve, and that is what I was paid for. In eleven years I recieved about four gifts (maybe it was just me). Some parents are now spending a small fortune, probably just so that they can look better than everybody else. I simply thanked them for all their hard work.

The one thing that I did get that was worth far more to me was in a Tesco's car park. A former student spotted me and came over, thanked me and told me that by pushing him hard he had realised that he needed to get his act together. He was at University and was doing so well that the next term he was moving onto a better course and insisted that I gave him a reference for that move as he said that without me none of it would have happened. Worth far more than a cheap trinket.

Thing is it is not just teaching now, take a look at the cards you can get, so on Mother's day you can give your Grandmother a card as well, cards for passing exams, leavibg your job, starting a new one, passing your driving test, being ill, getting better, getting dressed in the morning, the world has definately gone mad. A quick phone call, or better stiull a visit to actually tell somebody they have done well etc means far more than a cheap card.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBridger View Post
    My granddaughter is a teacher. She thinks it's great
    LOL I bet she does however, this does cause hardship to some fanilies & embarrassment to some children.
    IMO I feel that head teachers some set some kind of boundaries/advice.
    I realise the children like to do this, but surely a card is sufficient.
    Maybe the parents could have a collection involving a set amount realistic mind so they all get to join in & keep the cost down surely one present would b appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by kreativebargains View Post
    Dropped son off this morning and there were a few there with gifts and cards. We did not bother. I have just left teaching at a college, for me the best gift was seeing students achieve, and that is what I was paid for. In eleven years I recieved about four gifts (maybe it was just me). Some parents are now spending a small fortune, probably just so that they can look better than everybody else. I simply thanked them for all their hard work.

The one thing that I did get that was worth far more to me was in a Tesco's car park. A former student spotted me and came over, thanked me and told me that by pushing him hard he had realised that he needed to get his act together. He was at University and was doing so well that the next term he was moving onto a better course and insisted that I gave him a reference for that move as ha said that without me none of it would have happened. Worth far more than a cheap trinket.

Thing is it is not just teaching now, take a look at the cards you can get, so on Mother's day you can give your Grandmother a card as well, cards for passing exams, leavibg your job, starting a new one, passing your driving test, being ill, getting better, getting dressed in the morning, the world has definately gone mad. A quick phone call, or better stiull a visit to actually tell somebody they have done well etc means far more than a cheap card.
    Well said couldn't have put it better myself.
    My Husband is a teacher.

However, he teaches problem students who would never even consider buying cards/gifts. takes them all there time to behave & appreciate how they are being looked after & taught. difficult times.
    by the way he doesn't ever expect anything as you say a thank you is more than enough.

Thank you for your input xxx
    Last edited by UniquenMornique; 20th July 2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Is this another import of a custom from America?
    LOL I think possibly LOL thank you for your input xxx

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

I am against anyone being given extra rewards for doing the job they are paid to do - whether that be teachers, bankers, waiters, or whatever. When you are offered and accept a job of work it is on the basis that you will do what is required, to the best of your ability, for an agreed sum. So nothing you do within that framework warrants any 'bonus'. Only if you go beyond what you were contracted to do, to the benefit of your employer, is any reward justified.

As pointed out by someone above, this is particularly bad in a school environment where some may not be able to afford a 'gift for teacher', or where comparisons on 'who spent what' will undoubtedly be made.

View rokins_toys's Feedback (+770)
    All-About rokins_toys
    View rokins_toys's Listings
    Forum Posts

It's just another "craze" from America and with parents trying to out do each other in the gift department. It's just nonsense.
    “Doing business without proper advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark. You know what you are doing but nobody else does and the girl doesn't even know you're winking at her either."

Thread Information