eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Attracting More Buyers to eBid

Forum Newbie
    All-About naaktgeboren
    View naaktgeboren's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Attracting More Buyers to eBid

As for attracting new buyers, is it not as simple as advertise, advertise, advertise!! TBH this time last week, I had never heard of ebid. Let the people out there know their is an alternative to eBay, mentioned this site to a few people today and nobody had ever heard of it.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

What else would you recommend?

An interesting activity would be to ask at least 3-5 people/week: "Have you heard of eBid?" in your routine activities. If yes, discuss; if no, tell them about eBid & provide site imfo.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adruml View Post
    The only part of ebay keeping me from going back is the new agreement about allowing ebay to refund buyers purchase price with shipping without my approval. That is the most ridiculous agreement I have ever heard of. And with that agreement where are the sellers? Where are they going?
    This is one additional thing about eBay that would keep me from going back. I left eBay long ago, when they started raising their fees at every turn; and when they demonstrated themselves to be buyer centric. Things continue to worsen from my observations as an outsider looking in.

Did an experiment during one of their "free listing days", and listed some items. As the items were nearing the end, I received an email from eBay with the request: "Provide update information for your card on file, so that we can reimburse your buyers." I thought, "Oh really", I made a fast decision never to return. BTW: nothing sold.

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by naaktgeboren View Post
    As for attracting new buyers, is it not as simple as advertise, advertise, advertise!! TBH this time last week, I had never heard of ebid. Let the people out there know their is an alternative to eBay, mentioned this site to a few people today and nobody had ever heard of it.
    I get the same reaction which to me is amazing after the length of time eBid has been around. eBid is not the first auction site so it's difficult to gain momentum. Pretty sure it's time to rethink strategy unless of course the growth (or lack thereof) is all that is desired. Either way it would be nice to know if I should treat this as a selling platform cheaper than my own site but take a chance on visitors not wanting to sign up/buy/participate or jsut go ahead an invest in my own site. To pay for my own site I would only need to sell 3 cymbals per year so cost isn't that big a deal. I had thought I would gain so much more in sales by joining an auction site which was true in the past.
    Since ebay was extremely succesful through the years until greed set in why not model the site after what has worked in the past? Where does eBid wanna be in let's say 5 years? Are they going to count on similar growth experienced over the last 10 years?
    How will eBid justify their claim eBid vs ebay when trying to hook new sellers? Why aren't buyers targeted as much as sellers?
    Last edited by adruml; 11th August 2013 at 08:22 PM.

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    This is one additional thing about eBay that would keep me from going back. I left eBay long ago, when they started raising their fees at every turn; and when they demonstrated themselves to be buyer centric. Things continue to worsen from my observations as an outsider looking in.

Did an experiment during one of their "free listing days", and listed some items. As the items were nearing the end, I received an email from eBay with the request: "Provide update information for your card on file, so that we can reimburse your buyers." I thought, "Oh really", I made a fast decision never to return. BTW: nothing sold.
    That was my final turning point which made me put all my eggs in one basket. Unfortunately I ran out of quite a few eggs and trying to rebuild but dissappointed every turn.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

[QUOTE=adruml;1548501]I get the same reaction which to me is amazing after the length of time eBid has been around. eBid is not the first auction site so it's difficult to gain momentum. Pretty sure it's time to rethink strategy unless of course the growth (or lack thereof) is all that is desired. Either way it would be nice to know if I should treat this as a selling platform cheaper than my own site but take a chance on visitors not wanting to sign up/buy/participate or jsut go ahead an invest in my own site. To pay for my own site I would only need to sell 3 cymbals per year so cost isn't that big a deal. I had thought I would gain so much more in sales by joining an auction site which was true in the past.
    Since ebay was extremely succesful through the years until greed set in why not model the site after what has worked in the past? Where does eBid wanna be in let's say 5 years? Are they going to count on similar growth experienced over the last 10 years?
    How will eBid justify their claim eBid vs ebay when trying to hook new sellers? Why aren't buyers targeted as much as sellers?[/QUOTE]

It might make sense for eBid to model themselves after "Vintage eBay". This idea may appeal to eBidders who currently utilize eBay, and most certainly to disenchanted eBay users who have and are migrating to eBid. However, I have an uneasy feeling that instead of eBid morphing into Vintage eBay; that modern day eBay might just integrate them into their existing model via an infamous buyout.

How many sites or services have already been bought out or taken over by eBay. Some I am aware of include Paypal, and they also have their own shipping company. That may explain why the added push to get the fees to include shipping; confirms the greed element.

The "where", "are they", "how", and "why" of things are unknowns; as eBid does not really disclose that information to its users. The question of "Why aren't buyers targeted as much as sellers?" is probably the most enigmatic of the questions. Some potential reasons might include:

- It may be more profitable to them to target sellers

- It may be a part of their long range goal (which users do not know)

- It may be just coincidental; may just appear like that

Quote Originally Posted by kreativebargains View Post
    LovesVintage43:

As some have said, do what is best for you. Some of the other advice relates to how to be a success on eBid, and trust me it works, but if you are only looking to get a bit of extra money through selling a few things then I would sell what you can where you can. One thing about listing here is that even if you go for the Platinum listing you could list for 12-15 days with 10 Auto Reposts. That would give you 132-165 worth of listing for just £0.05, a bargain. But also take advantage of free listing days on eBay.
    Thank you for your advice- that is just what I am, someone who sells their own things for a bit of extra money,I do not do this for a living. Thanks for your understanding & support hurryb4itsgone and kreativebargains, sorry if I threw my toys out of the pram earlier, but I felt I was being unfairly critisized .I do understand that some sellers who have been on here awhile probably get frustrated sometimes, but they were all newbies once and I do appreciate all the advice I have been given. Anyway,I am no longer an ebid virgin :-) yay! I have put my first 8 auctions on today to see how they go. As I said, anything that doesn't go on ebay this week for whatever reason will be transferred here- I have 20 current listings on there with 2 sold already and watchers on 3 of the others,mostly fragrance,home fragrance and clothing. I have posted links on my facebook group to ebid and will make sure I promote this site wherever possible- good idea about putting a note in with my ebay deliveries, I will do this.

View purplestevie's Feedback (+8205)
    All-About purplestevie
    View purplestevie's Listings
    Forum Posts

Tell all your buyers past and present you are here, join ebid pinterest (ive pinned your heart shaped clips on ebid pinterest jewellery board), join a multi user blog (i have sold 2 items on the back of such blogs this week),
    Use the plug your auction facility on ebid. list as much as you can

Forum Lurker
    View stampsandcoins1's Feedback (+272)
    All-About stampsandcoins1
    View stampsandcoins1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kreativebargains View Post
    If people spent less time complaining and a little more doing something about it then it would be better all round, but the forums would be a heck of a lot quieter.

As for eBid having a minimum upload value to Google Shopping, I hope not. It will hardly affect me up to maybe £5, but I think it would be a bad move on the part of eBid for a couple of reasons:

Firstly the low value sellers are the most disgruntled on the other sites, so the most obvious targets for eBid.

Secondly the low value items are frequently multiple sales. I have heard frequently that coin, stamp, postcard and comic sellers have had sales of 5, 10, 20 and I think once about 70 items to a single seller. So a single click that eBid pays for might be for a low value item, but could lead to a significant sales revenue for the seller and FVF's for eBid.
    Totally agree. I list on eBid but I list quality and well below the market price. Some say they list all there rubbish on here - well no wonder they have no sales. I have had seven sales today and at the asking price. Quality items at a sensible price and I make a small profit, that is all I ask.

http://stampsandcoins1.ebid.net
    http://alansbanknotes.ebid.net
    http://alanspostcards.ebid.net

Quote Originally Posted by purplestevie View Post
    Tell all your buyers past and present you are here, join ebid pinterest (ive pinned your heart shaped clips on ebid pinterest jewellery board), join a multi user blog (i have sold 2 items on the back of such blogs this week),
    Use the plug your auction facility on ebid. list as much as you can
    Thanks for your tips, and for pinning my clips- I wondered why the views suddenly jumped!! x

Thread Information