Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GAZ & MARK - re-set the effin' time-outs

Nakhon Ratchasima Thailand (Not Singapore), Singapore, United Kingdom
    View gazlannathai's Feedback (+796)
    All-About gazlannathai
    View gazlannathai's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default GAZ & MARK - re-set the effin' time-outs

GAZ & MARK - sick to death of this forum engine and only been using it for an hour or so

leave a window open on the forum for 10-15 minutes then come back to it and you have to sign in again

NOT GOOD ENOUGH

I went off to get some news from "secret" Burmese News agencies to post in a thread (about the earquake and tsunami) and posted it into an open reply window, but by the time I'd found the info then copied and pasted it, my login had timed out and I had to sign in again - losing all the reply.

When PM-ing someone - the forum shows what you're doing and to who, then nosey's email you to ask what you were talking about in a PM

Avatar size at 80x80 is too small

Signature images do not display, but show the URL of the image

the page load is way to slow - especially for those of us on dial-up modems

the user interface and the button to a user's settings are not obvious

IF YOU KEEP THIS FORUM ENGINE, YOU'LL SCARE AWAY A LOT OF NEWBIES

BIG THUMBS DOWN FROM ME
    - ONE OF YOUR LONGEST SERVING MEMBERS

I like it

For me ............

faster load
    for those on dial up teh restriction of great big images and flashy gif's means that they will not continously have pages time out (which was a real pain in the rear for me before)
    Set yourself to log in automatically ......... no more logging back in then
    and just a bit of practice makes it easy to use - just like any other new forum
    the who's doing what ........... dont care really
    like the ignore feature.......... the buddy feature ........... the quick reply feature

I dont think it will scare newbies as they would have had to learn the old forum if they were new

Battersea, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View rainbowcraft's Feedback (+2067)
    All-About rainbowcraft
    View rainbowcraft's Listings
    Forum Posts

I like it too....there are a couple of niggles I have, but they are outweighed by the benefits of this new software...the old forum was like an old granny without her zimmer frame most days....

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowcraft
    I like it too....there are a couple of niggles I have, but they are outweighed by the benefits of this new software...the old forum was like an old granny without her zimmer frame most days....
    PMSL................. excellent description Tracey

Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View thehoneyant's Feedback (+137)
    All-About thehoneyant
    View thehoneyant's Listings
    Forum Posts

Cool

I'm on dial up too, and I don't have a problem.
    When my slot is coming to an end I save any posting I am composing elsewhere so I don't loose it when it cuts me off. salutary lesson learned from once loosing a LONG post.

All-About gazlannathai
    Forum Posts

Quick reply was the ONLY method available in the old forum - and it allowed all the extensions you have topt for in this one

I'm a member of several forums that use the same engine as this one and most members on those forums are continually complaining about the engine.

I HAVE clicked "remember me" and still it logs me out

Grump

grumble snarl

#1 rule in IT - if it ain't broke - don't fix it

Quote Originally Posted by gazlannathai
    Quick reply was the ONLY method available in the old forum - and it allowed all the extensions you have topt for in this one

I'm a member of several forums that use the same engine as this one and most members on those forums are continually complaining about the engine.

I HAVE clicked "remember me" and still it logs me out

Grump

grumble snarl

#1 rule in IT - if it ain't broke - don't fix it
    well see IT WAS BROKE

hence it needed fixing .................

and Im selected as constantly logged in and have no probloems so maybe a prob with yr browser?

You've got a problem with your cookies Gaz- every one of my browsers on this machine remembers I've logged on.

All-About gazlannathai
    Forum Posts

No the problem is not at my end - cookies are working fine

The problem is at eBid's gateway-server - it is timing out after 4 minutes according to the diagnostics I've been running - which is demanding too many resets and refreshes

I've not yet received http 404 errors (page not found) but evrytime I "sit" on an active forum page (such as the reply screen) for over 4 minutes, then I get the "go to login" or "gateway connection timeout or reset errors"

It may be that the servers are having problems with the IP routing between UK & Thailand, or it might be coming from the ISP I use (which is owned by the xenophobic dictator who is currently Prime Minister of this kingdom, and has a habit of prohibiting access to different domains that he dislikes)

Whatever the reason, the problems I'm currently experiencing are completely different to any I experienced under the old forum engine.

.............and never forget - before I expatriated I was a high-level systems infrastructure and server technician working under contract for companies such as Heathrow/BAA, LloydsTSB, GEC Marconi, EDS, Dell and others - so I do have some idea about these things.

Smile

Hi Gaz ( long time ) bla - bla

I dont agree with anyone , cus i dont care what anyone else thinks re this issue. ( as in i say what I think regardless to what X, Y or Z may think ).

My own feelings are that too many things went wrong with the old kt ( ebid forums in general ) too much shi* stiring, too much bullcrap. With this new visibility it makes that a lot less likely to occur ( of course the main culprits will just use other means of causing trouble ) ie : msn, yahoo, phone calls etc , rather than pms BUT it keeps it off kt , in the main.

I was 100% fed up with old kt and didnt want anything to do with ebid.
    This new system has given me a total rethink.

I was pmsl at 1st cus i just imagined all the SHI* STIRING BRAIN DEAD TWA*S thinking Oohooooh what do we do for kicks now. LMAO.

But , its also the reason I am considering re selling on here ( i have had a 360 degree turn around in thoughts since first seeing it ).

Smaller avatars, visible user info, new layout etc does not bother me in the slightest. I LOVE the idea that G&M can see my ip address ( which is static ) and are able to compare it against others .... I LOVE that they therefore can do that with other users too. ( WONT STOP THE OUT AND OUT SNEAKY FU**ERS ) they will just continue to use their ongoing methods of causing mayhem and blaming all and sundry and avoiding all conflict themselves. But it will stop peoples pc's being misused without their knowlege and hopefuly stop out and out malicious trolling too.

G&M will see in an instance whats what and who is who. etc.

PIMPING - I was as bad as that as anyone, however must admit some times to doing it just cus i was annoyed at others doing it and so thought well, if your going to do it I am too! ( not to you , to anyone ) so i over did it.

I think pimping should be allowed but in a specific place on the forums. Until such time as ebid grows large enough as to not need it.

ALL IN ALL ........... I think new users to ebid will prefer this set up more than they would of the old one, which was outdated i guess.

Only problem with forums in general is the CLIQUE thing. Where ever that prevails new users will come and go at a rate of knotts.

Other than that I recon it will even out , some people will go and then come back after a rethink ( ) or to annoy peeps

Others will go and never come back.

Some will join and post who would not have previously.

Everything OLD was once NEW.
    Everything NEW will one day be OLD.

elaine

Thread Information