View pupsandpets's Listings
    Forum Posts

Welcome everyone............

Forum Newbie
    View sheahan3309's Feedback (+1912)
    All-About sheahan3309
    View sheahan3309's Listings
    Forum Posts

I didn't intend for my previous post to sound like I'm just another impatient American. That's not me. I realize that it will take some time to catch on here. But, 0 scares the h*** out of me. If I'm doing something wrong or missing something important about eBid, all I want is a lttle help. I've always sold reasonably well, internationally. so I don't think that's it entirely. If you, or anyone else, could take a little time to point me in the right direction, I'd certainly appreciate it. Al

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by sheahan3309 View Post
    I didn't intend for my previous post to sound like I'm just another impatient American. That's not me. I realize that it will take some time to catch on here. But, 0 scares the h*** out of me. If I'm doing something wrong or missing something important about eBid, all I want is a lttle help. I've always sold reasonably well, internationally. so I don't think that's it entirely. If you, or anyone else, could take a little time to point me in the right direction, I'd certainly appreciate it. Al
    CAUTION: Go get yourself a cuppa java or tea before starting to read this.. it's LONG! LOL..

OK a couple pointers.. Ive been selling lots of books, trying various formats myself..

First off.. My first impression on viewing your book "here to eternity" listing (I love books myself, Im almost tempted to bid) - Shipping is much too high - Do you realize you can ship these by USPS media mail (Even with a $1.00 handling fee tacked on, it still comes to under 4 bucks USD for a 3 Lb. package) - Buyers would very likely want to see *options*

Shipping is a very sore point in almost any online auction format- as a buyer, if your book was listed for $12.95 and the shipping offered was calculated, media mail, with 0.95 handling fee (covers cost of even a new box) I'd have bid immediately.. but seeing it listed at $2.99, and then a $6.00 shipping rate (even though it is priority mail) was the turn-off

At least for me..

I'd suggest offering options on shipping, and to cover your costs (cost of packaging, box, tape, delivery confirmation apportioned properly) a handling fee of likely not more than 95 cents to a dollar would seem appropriate..

Another thing I notice, I realize that National Geographic IS collectible, but I suspect there is not that large of a market for it, especially in the current economy.. and majority of your listings are for N.G. so I'm not terribly surprised that you have low views..

Ive had books on Feebay that have had 0 views right up to the last day of my THIRD re-listing, and then suddenly someone finds it and buys it - often because they hit just the right search term.. More verbosity in auction descriptions would help, as well as more creativity in titles - "National Geographic Magazine" - kind of generic, ya know..

I mean, you might get better luck , for example, having some information about what's IN the issue, and get a wider variety of search terms for the casual shopper .. as it is right now, someone browsing around Ebid will only find your auctions if they are specifically *searching* for National Geographic.. (or if they just happen to be looking in that category) . perhaps a title like:

Nat'l Geographic Apr'41 War Time England Italy Articles

gives you a title of 55 characters (if I counted right) and a much richer context for search engines to pick up on...

a quick search on Terapeak market research comes up with about 9 listings (in last 14 days) total on feebay, averaging around $5.50 or so, and a sell-through of 33% (3 sold on 4 bids ) and the one with the same type of generic title as you use on your listings only sold at 0.99 while the other two sold higher, (one was a gallery/gallery Plus - expensive promotion probably took a loss) and the other has more descriptive title , such as I explained above.. and appears to have done a nice profit...

but overall it just seems to indicate a low demand, on a site with over 20 million auctions at any one time, Vs. Ebid's second place with 1.5 Million

In all honesty, it really isn't a big surprise- I would suggest that you try to locate and list related collectibles of the type your customer base/buyers would also look for (think about how Amazon.com markets with their "Customers who looked at this item, also purchased the following items") - it's called cross-promotion..

Things like perhaps collectible bookmarks, display cases, preservation bags or whatever for preserving the books (if people actually do that- beats me whether they do or not) and price your listings fairly, and dont try to "make up" for cheap listings with jacked up flat fee shipping.. offer buyers more options...

Buy a few cheapie bits and pieces here at ebid (such as an E-Bid keyring or magnets, etc, or other little things that you like..) in order to get some feedbacks and get rid of those newbie shades..

there's lots of other great ideas for promotions as well- and while you are at it- anything you DO sell , pop in an Ebid flyer of some sort in the package (if shipping media mail, slip it between the leaves of the book..) (search forums there are quite a few different flyers you can print out)

I have sold over 300 books so far (and many more im waiting on listings to expire and re-list here) and out of every single one of them, I offered Media Mail, with Priority Mail as the second option... and not a SINGLE buyer elected for Priority mail- even though they had the option....

Choice is a big thing (and it is one of the reasons that so many people are leaving ItsNotFreeBay) .. so offering your buyers more options on shipping, optional insurance, options for payment.. that would probably help a lot as well..

Whew! Well, I am going to stop here, or I'll end up writing an Epic Novel or something.. LOL

Hope the above helps
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

Forum Newbie
    All-About sheahan3309
    Forum Posts

Default Finally, some very helpful info.

Thank you for your helpful information. I can see your point on most everything you said. I think that what worked well for me at feebay, ain't gonna cut it here. The only thing I have a question about is this. When I was listing the first 3 or 4 Nat. Geo. s, I tried calculated domestic postage but, couldn't get a media mail option. Hence the flat rate, which I probably should have held to $4.00. Why couldn't I get the option under 'calculated'? It turns up as an option when you flat rate. Anyway, thanks again for all your help. I'll be sure to put it in practice. My coffee's cold now. Gotta go. Al

Quote Originally Posted by sheahan3309 View Post
    Thank you for your helpful information. I can see your point on most everything you said. I think that what worked well for me at feebay, ain't gonna cut it here. The only thing I have a question about is this. When I was listing the first 3 or 4 Nat. Geo. s, I tried calculated domestic postage but, couldn't get a media mail option. Hence the flat rate, which I probably should have held to $4.00. Why couldn't I get the option under 'calculated'? It turns up as an option when you flat rate. Anyway, thanks again for all your help. I'll be sure to put it in practice. My coffee's cold now. Gotta go. Al
    Not sure- if you havent upgraded your account that may be why.. or it could have been a bug.. I didnt have any issue with my first book listing and offering calculated media mail..

I also noted that, for US sellers, at least, it would also be nice to have UPS and/or FedEx in the shipping offerings (I know they have an API for calculated shipping as well- I'm working it into my standalone store at the moment.. - I suppose just another item to add to the "to-do" /FREQ list for Gazza LOL! )

Media Mail to US addresses is always the same rate anywhere in USA, unlike priority mail, I think...
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

Forum Newbie
    All-About sheahan3309
    Forum Posts

Smile OK! More questions.

Quote Originally Posted by idealadultsales View Post
    Not sure- if you havent upgraded your account that may be why.. or it could have been a bug.. I didnt have any issue with my first book listing and offering calculated media mail..

I also noted that, for US sellers, at least, it would also be nice to have UPS and/or FedEx in the shipping offerings (I know they have an API for calculated shipping as well- I'm working it into my standalone store at the moment.. - I suppose just another item to add to the "to-do" /FREQ list for Gazza LOL! )

Media Mail to US addresses is always the same rate anywhere in USA, unlike priority mail, I think...
    Hate to bug you but, your reply brought more questions to mind. Namely, does a Lifetime Seller+ membership open things up more than a 90 day one? Cause I tried calculated Media again, with the same results. As far as the number of N.G.s listed, you're looking at the last 160 or so that I have left. I started with about 500. Frankly, I'm sick of looking at them. Can't complain about how well they sold though. Apparently, there is a market. It may just be over there and not on eBid. Not ready to give up on eBid, just yet. Another question or two and then I'll leave you be. Does opening a store here really make a diference? How does it differ from the other place? Thanks again, for your time. Al

Seller+ is the same benefits, whether it is 90 days, or lifetime. the only difference is with the lifetime, you never have to pay again, other than the usual listing and FVF's you could do seller+ 90 days , and in 9 months, pay more in renewals than you would pay for the lifetime.. lifetime means just that- you get 5 stores you can open as well (with lifetime or not)

Due to that- Ive opted for lifetime. I mean, even if you only stick with listing for 6 months and then try elsewhere, you will STILL have your account, you can always come back and list a few things every so often and see how things have improved.. Myself, I see a HUGE potential, and I believe Ebid is truly an undiscovered gem.. give it a good 1-2 years more, and I will bet anything Ebid will be some *very* serious competition to FleaBay, if not actually passing them for #1 spot

I think having the store helps - it is the same reason for having a store at the other place, except here, you get 5 stores free.. the other place, you pay through the nose.. for just ONE store! (I am gradually moving mine to here.. as my relistings expire, I just delete em and move em here, and as my listings count goes down, I push more store inventory to auction.. eventually my store will be empty, and all my listings will be here.)

The benefit of a store is, the RSS feeds, and google search engine (Ive got 8 sales (over there) due to direct hits from google, due to search engine results.. and I havent even had my store (there) for a month yet!) Also, with our community, your store is listed in a LOT more places, on many different websites, which , in regards to SEO Optimization, is priceless- Relevant links from other websites to yours = really boosts your site ranking..

We have flyers we are distributing to all members (see other relevant threads) that people insert into the packages they ship, advertising everyone's ebid stores, but mainly ebid itself... its a proactive approach..

These RSS feeds and data pushes to google are a huge boost- so I would strongly suggest opening at least one store, and get it populated with everything you can get listed.. and once you have all your stuff listed, give it at least 90 days to really get entrenched in search engines.. and meanwhile, work on getting your feedback rating up and those newbie seller shades removed.. study other listings and stores that seem to be selling successfully, and see what they seem to be doing right

I fully expect to have to spend a good 3-6 months here working and promoting my auctions and stores before I really start to *even* see regular sales, but I firmly believe that it will happen. if it doesnt, I already have backup plans, as I am also building my web presence in various places, and there is always Amazon.com (although THEIR web store offering is something like 50 bucks a MONTH)

failing all that, well.. then Ive wasted a ton of money and it will be my 4th failed business venture out of 7 LOL.. win some, lose some

The lifetime membership is a bargain when you consider how long it would take to run up a similar bill over on the darkside.
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View maroy41's Feedback (+1089)
    All-About maroy41
    View maroy41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi to all the newbies and a warm welcome to ebid
    Great books reasonable prices please click on the logo below and browse around I have quite a selection for you to choose from.

Some great Dvd's --->
    Here

View CornishPixi's Feedback (+306)
    All-About CornishPixi
    View CornishPixi's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well Hello from yet another Newbie ( although I have been lurking the forums for a week or two )

Thread Information