eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 78 of 85 FirstFirst ... 28686970717273747576777879808182838485 LastLast

Thread: Project Second-Life - Promote eBid for peanuts!

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hotandvintage View Post
    Try going in about seven there was people there then. When I was in after twelve it was empty, so no idea what time everyone packs up.

You just use your search for what ever you are interested in or if you sign into your website you can get lists of things and places you are interested in and go to them through there. Make sure you select adult, or it seems most things are cut out.

The only problem I found was I may switch back to using my other name, as the hotandvintage one seems to attract french woman for some reason, and yes I ran away like a little girl.

If you click home and go to the grass start up area, there is a selection of boards where you can get lists of places to visit and other stuff.

Or you could always try and either meet up with someone or try contact them when you are there.
    If you type in ebid in the search, the people involved in it will come up, and I think you can message them through there.

And I was wrong it is not like a forum, but more like an instant messaging system, which kills me every time, as my typing skills are not that great and this keyboard drops more letters than an old typewriter

Still think it would be interesting if you have the time, so maybe you could PM cathycathy0 and arrange to meet up, as you may find it easier with a guide.
    I went to the tutorial...took 2 hours to work out how to change my clothes.

Typed in Ebid and there were no results at all.....the browser crashed several times and I had to relaunch it...took several minutes each time.

I'm not in the habit of instant messaging random peeps so there doesn't seem anything in there to really grab me.

It's already cost me £30 for a new graphics card as mine didn't work with second Life....it appears very random...might stick to facebook as it's much simpler to use and easier to use for getting in touch with people.

Sorry for the flying visit had some stuff to do out here. I see you added some seats.

One question

What are the limes doing on the roof?
    Sit on one and find out

They're dance balls. Your avatar will start dancing.

I'm registered, but not sure how to do work or build a house.
    Don't walk in front of me..I may not follow-don't walk behind me..I may not lead-just walk beside me and be my friend.
    Albert Camus

PERSONAL RECORD SET
    27hours 30minutes without sleep

Forum Lurker
    Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View hotandvintage's Feedback (+13)
    All-About hotandvintage
    View hotandvintage's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by craig7501 View Post
    I'm registered, but not sure how to do work or build a house.

I think that is where the Technical stuff comes in, I know they have training courses in there, and if you check out your account page, I think they have videos,

I noticed there was an add board where you first start that was all about building and stuff of that nature. I think if you click on home it takes you there and it is down beside the translator, when you touch the links they give you a long list of info.
    I did not have time to read through them.

I know you can get a lot of info on second life if you do a google search. or if you search YouTube, they have a lot of stuff.

But so far I built a one legged stool so please don't take my word for it, I would try and go into the manderley mall, and they will probably have more info.

Forum Saint
    All-About moonwitch
    Forum Posts

I wonder how anyone can find the ebid info...I have just spent over an our using every search I could find on there...and no results come up.

I just seem to be finding random peeps....like if I had my messenger set to accept personal messages from everybody.

Someone convince me that this is more than just an instant message site with graphics

View rupert691's Feedback (+2286)
    All-About rupert691
    View rupert691's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi everyone,

I'll try and answer as many questions as I can here, and am sure some of the other regulars will be along to give some pointers too.

Sorry for the flying visit had some stuff to do out here. I see you added some seats.

One question

What are the limes doing on the roof?
    No worries on your 'flying visit'. The seats have been there since we first bought the land, very early in 2008. It's a 'throwback' from the seats that were in the Groups original meeting office, which (unintentionally) resembled Dorothy's house from 'The Wizard of Oz' (as it was in the sky), and which we affectionally referred to as 'We're not in Kansas anymore'!

Yes, as Georgia said, the limes are to click and 'dance' on. It's the 'Lime Jelly' dance. They are used primarily at the occassional concerts on the roof. Please try them out. There are lots of balls in SL, which make you dance etc.

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    I couldn't get any interaction at all...I turned up and the place was totally deserted and couldn't find a way of getting to anywhere else there...I feel like I am stuck in limbo
    It depends when you are there really. We are all very grateful to Georgia, who does a great job in the Mall answering the Quiz questions. We've had the SIM completely full at times, which meant that no one else could teleport in. The Core Group, are all involved in various 'side-projects' within Second-Life, so obviously cannot actually be 'in' the Mall all the time. Hiya and I are full-time ('Second-Life time') Builders, and have promoted a number of high-profile Busninesses within Second-Life. We are currently building a SIM/Club for an American Businessman who has employed us since Easter, so this keeps us busy. However we are all happy to pop along and welcome new members when we know you are there. Just send one of us (Ignatius Lytton, Hiya Honi, Zarin Nightfire etc. ), an IM, and we will be happy to show you around. Post your 'in-world' names here, so we know who to look for.

Try going in about seven there was people there then. When I was in after twelve it was empty, so no idea what time everyone packs up.

You just use your search for what ever you are interested in or if you sign into your website you can get lists of things and places you are interested in and go to them through there. Make sure you select adult, or it seems most things are cut out.

The only problem I found was I may switch back to using my other name, as the hotandvintage one seems to attract french woman for some reason, and yes I ran away like a little girl.

If you click home and go to the grass start up area, there is a selection of boards where you can get lists of places to visit and other stuff.

Or you could always try and either meet up with someone or try contact them when you are there.
    If you type in ebid in the search, the people involved in it will come up, and I think you can message them through there.

And I was wrong it is not like a forum, but more like an instant messaging system, which kills me every time, as my typing skills are not that great and this keyboard drops more letters than an old typewriter

Still think it would be interesting if you have the time, so maybe you could PM cathycathy0 and arrange to meet up, as you may find it easier with a guide.
    Yes, just use the 'Search' button at the bottom of the SL screen. Then select the 'People' Tab, then type in the name of the person you wish to contact. Use the 'Instant Message' button. It's easier to do, than for me to type it LOL. As for 'typing skills', SL will help no-end! Before we used 'voice', I regularly typed in 140,000 characters per day, so it really does help, but using a microphone is easier if you're building, because using keys to type and build at the same time, makes it very easy to delete walls you've just made! (Ask me how I know )

I went to the tutorial...took 2 hours to work out how to change my clothes.

Typed in Ebid and there were no results at all.....the browser crashed several times and I had to relaunch it...took several minutes each time.

I'm not in the habit of instant messaging random peeps so there doesn't seem anything in there to really grab me.

It's already cost me £30 for a new graphics card as mine didn't work with second Life....it appears very random...might stick to facebook as it's much simpler to use and easier to use for getting in touch with people.
    Don't bother with the tutorial. Just ask one of us for help.

eBid really is there in the search.

I never IMed random people. I'm not sure any of the Group would either. That may be dangerous, because the 'girl' you are speaking to, may well be a 48 year-old trucker, from Birmingham, called Steve. (Ask me now I know!) We don't really use it for staying in-touch as such, but for many different purposes. We all met in SL for the purpose of starting the Group, and just 'kinda' stayed. If you want to IM anyone, IM us. It's a good place to start, as we're all experienced SLers in one way or another . But SL certainly isn't for everyone. We use it as a 'tool' to promote eBid, and eBidders auctions.

If you're experiencing problems with your Graphics Card, go into the 'Edit' and then 'Preferences' when you first open the SL window up before logging in. Go to the 'Graphics' tab, and try setting it to 'Low' or change the resolution to a lesser setting. In the early days, believe it or not, the only way I could get mine to run, was by setting the 'Compatibility Mode' to 'Windows 95'. That worked for me, even if Hiya did look like a puppet! . Generally speaking, you're pretty 'safe' if you have an Nvidia, or Radeon Card.

Social Networking Sites cannot be compared to Second-Life, which is a fully interactive 3D Virtual world, with an almost limitless amount of potential for creativity, and education. This potential really cannot be fully appreciated after one or two visits.

Quote Originally Posted by cathycathy0 View Post
    Sit on one and find out

They're dance balls. Your avatar will start dancing.
    Thank you Georgia! You are one 'Happy Bunny' LOL.

I think that is where the Technical stuff comes in, I know they have training courses in there, and if you check out your account page, I think they have videos,

I noticed there was an add board where you first start that was all about building and stuff of that nature. I think if you click on home it takes you there and it is down beside the translator, when you touch the links they give you a long list of info.
    I did not have time to read through them.

I know you can get a lot of info on second life if you do a google search. or if you search YouTube, they have a lot of stuff.

But so far I built a one legged stool so please don't take my word for it, I would try and go into the manderley mall, and they will probably have more info.
    Again, please feel free to contact us 'in-world'. We are happy to help, unless you IM us every 30 seconds, in which case we pretend to be 'busy'. (Just kidding!). We did talk about offering informal 'Building Lessons' at one time, but to be honest we felt interest would be limited, as 'Building' is such a small part of SL. But if anyone has any specific building-related questions, just ask. We are passionate about 'building', having been doing it for over 18 months now, and have experience in all aspects.

I wonder how anyone can find the ebid info...I have just spent over an our using every search I could find on there...and no results come up.

I just seem to be finding random peeps....like if I had my messenger set to accept personal messages from everybody.

Someone convince me that this is more than just an instant message site with graphics
    Here it is again. This is just the 'entry' for the Group. There is other information available in SL, regarding eBid and eBidders.

Re. convicing that it's not just an 'instant message site with graphics', we're not out to convince anyone really. I could name quite a few that said something similar to us at the start, and later went on to become 'residents'. People either give SL a fair crack of the whip and are quite likely to find one or two aspects that they enjoy (even if it's seeing how many 'free items' you can put in your 'Inventory' in 24 hours - you know who you are, and we miss you!), or they'll decide SL isn't for them. I took three weeks wondering round on there, (and I didn't know anyone at that stage) before I had the idea for the Project, formed the Group, and put it to Gazza and Mark. So it took me a full three weeks before I determined if SL was something I liked, or otherwise. Since then, I've met some great people. Some are eBidders, some aren't. Some have changed my life (quite literally). Some have told me that they never want to build, but are now creating amazing items! We've met Managers of Corporate Businesses, an Elvis 'tribute act' that sings 'in-world' and is one of the nicest guys you could ever wish to meet, a Real-Life Kendo expert who will 'talk you through' his virtual card tricks, a virtual 'Dragon-Slayer' from Newcastle. There is a complete, and highly-detailed replica of the town of Great Yarmouth, which was built to raise money for a Church in the Town, occupies an entire SIM and has to be seen to be believed. And remember, if you have any questions, just ask. We're happy to help.
    All the best, Simon.
    Promote your eBid Sales with us on 'Second-Life'. If you'd like to join the SL eBid Group, please PM me for an Invite to help Promote your eBid Store/Listings!

'Rupert's Books' for Unusual used books!

Phew! Thanks Iggy for posting such a clear reply. I tried a few times yesterday and nothing I typed made sense when I read it back I'm in SecondLife now, in my usual place, on the roof of the mall doing trivia. If anyone would like to pop by and say hello, I expect to be around most of the day. I'm not always at the keyboard, but drop me an IM inworld or give a shout on Facebook. Post your SecondLife names here, so I know who you are

By the way, I'm not a bunny any more. I've become a devil in preparation for Halloween I tried to post a picture, but it seemed to be far too big LOL.

Cathy.
    Georgia Caerndow.
    Last edited by cathycathy0; 18th October 2009 at 09:56 AM.

Forum Saint
    All-About moonwitch
    Forum Posts

Hi Simon.....my point in saying how long it took me to find the eBid Mall...was that I was looking around Second Life as a newbie and someone who doesn't know about eBid.

I purposely went there to find out how long it would take a complete novice to find the eBid Mall without knowing about eBid. Someone new to eBid wouldn't be asking questions on this forum as no-one I know has a clue about eBid unless I have told them...and none of the people I have told has a computer anyway.

In my experience, a lot of people who shop on-line, have very few IT skills and as someone who has been running an on line business for 3 years (the last year in marketing) I found the site extremely difficult to navigate and the only peeps I came across were randoms who were also total newbies.

I only stayed in there for a short while the last time as the site crashed again.

Next time I go there I'll find a busier time and randomly ask peeps where the eBid mall is as I didn't do that this time.

View rupert691's Feedback (+2286)
    All-About rupert691
    View rupert691's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cathycathy0 View Post
    Phew! Thanks Iggy for posting such a clear reply. I tried a few times yesterday and nothing I typed made sense when I read it back I'm in SecondLife now, in my usual place, on the roof of the mall doing trivia. If anyone would like to pop by and say hello, I expect to be around most of the day. I'm not always at the keyboard, but drop me an IM inworld or give a shout on Facebook. Post your SecondLife names here, so I know who you are

By the way, I'm not a bunny any more. I've become a devil in preparation for Halloween I tried to post a picture, but it seemed to be far too big LOL.

Cathy.
    Georgia Caerndow.
    Thanks Georgia! LOL. 'Clear'? Thanks. Hehehe I also tried to post a concise reply a few times yesterday, - not easy to explain it well, is it? That reminds me, I really must update the trivia machines! It's been on my list for a while now.

Hi Simon.....my point in saying how long it took me to find the eBid Mall...was that I was looking around Second Life as a newbie and someone who doesn't know about eBid.

I purposely went there to find out how long it would take a complete novice to find the eBid Mall without knowing about eBid. Someone new to eBid wouldn't be asking questions on this forum as no-one I know has a clue about eBid unless I have told them...and none of the people I have told has a computer anyway.

In my experience, a lot of people who shop on-line, have very few IT skills and as someone who has been running an on line business for 3 years (the last year in marketing) I found the site extremely difficult to navigate and the only peeps I came across were randoms who were also total newbies.

I only stayed in there for a short while the last time as the site crashed again.

Next time I go there I'll find a busier time and randomly ask peeps where the eBid mall is as I didn't do that this time.
    Hi Moonwitch,

Thanks for your reply. From a promotion point of view, the Mall was never aimed at those new to SL.The idea was that people that were already up-to-speed with SL would stumble across Manderley (via our 'in-world' promotions), and from there would find out more about eBid. This has proved to be the case. I think it'd be extremely unlikely that those new to both eBid and SL, could find the Mall, although we have had lots of people arrive there, who have only been on a few hours. People come to the Mall for the 'camping', 'fishing', the 'freebies' and other attractions. Earlier in the year, our 'Mall' Land Parcels had a 'traffic figure' larger than some of IBMs smaller Islands.

I note that you mentioned that the only people you met were also new to SL. What tends to happen initially when going 'in-world' is that you 'appear' at one of the 'NCI' areas (New Citizens Incorporated), which is full of them. This could be anywhere from 'Hanja' to 'Morris', so it can take a little while before finding more interesting areas. I know I speak for a few on here when I say that the NCI areas can be enough to put anyone off SL for good! You either encounter loads of people you don't know, just saying 'Hi', 'NCI Mafia' (Experienced SLers who are there to 'help', but 'power has gone to their heads' and they let you know it, by constantly telling you you're doing something wrong, even if you are not!), and 'Griefers' (trouble-makers in SL, which our Group is frequently called upon to deal with and remove from concerts).

Asking random people in SL about eBid, is unlikely to achieve a positive result. There is currently about 1,350,000 'Residents' with around 60,000 on at any one time, so only a small percentage would have come across it. However, many of those that do get to the Mall, ask, and are interested in eBid, with some joining up. One thing I haven't stressed, is that SL is MASSIVE! I do not know the current figures, but last time I saw them, the 'land mass' was the equivelent of around 8 times that of our planet. Looking for the Mall in Second-Life, percentage-wise, is like looking for a needle-in-a-hastack for most Residents, but if we get 100 people finidng out about eBid each week, we have achieved something.

Will anyone interested in information about SL and the eBid Project, please post your 'in-world' names, so I can add you as 'friends', and we can meet up, say 'Hi' and welcome to to the Mall.

All the best, Simon.
    Promote your eBid Sales with us on 'Second-Life'. If you'd like to join the SL eBid Group, please PM me for an Invite to help Promote your eBid Store/Listings!

'Rupert's Books' for Unusual used books!

Forum Lurker
    Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View hotandvintage's Feedback (+13)
    All-About hotandvintage
    View hotandvintage's Listings
    Forum Posts

I assume the marketing aspect could come as much from ebid being there, as much as anything. For all I know they could be the first and only auctions site on there. Has anyone looked for any of the others?
    I assume second life has its own forums and follower groups and blogs, which all interlink back to ebid, just the same as facebook, and the other P2P does.
    People like us will blog our thoughts on it and hopefully it will spread as all news does.
    Donahoe called it "noise," not understanding that, that same noise is what built ebay, before they even thought of TV adds.

I still do not know enough about it, to know how much it would bring in direct business or how much each of us being a friend or member will build its profile, as with other P2P but when you look at the peoples stuff there it is getting clicked, if people are following it through or not I do not know, as the only drawback from the system is that it does stretch peoples resources, so a lot of people will struggle to have that and anything else open at the same time. Now I do not know if those links can be transferred to the website part of second life, as stored links to check later but they should.

It is one of those things that I do not know if I would use it a lot or not, but my techie head is really drawn to the idea enough to do a little more research.

Thread Information