Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

View Poll Results: Please choose your preferred option

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would like YDC to become global (No YDC UK / YDC USA etc)

15 83.33%
  • I would like it to stay as YDC UK / YDC USA

2 11.11%
  • I would like YDC auctions to all have the country in the title even those that are not UK or USA

1 5.56%
  • Other. Please add to thread

0 0%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: YDC UK & USA to end & become global

View pearlygirl555's Feedback (+203)
    All-About pearlygirl555
    View pearlygirl555's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks m'dear
    "You're a guest of nature.....so behave!"

Forum Diehard
    View gramma1111's Feedback (+746)
    All-About gramma1111
    View gramma1111's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies View Post
    Gramma1111,

I can only say I'm baffled by how aggressive your post has come across.

YDC was global to start with & people felt a divide had occurred (as mentioned in post 1) when it became USA V UK

YDC is not IMO to do with what country you live in, nor anything to do with just 1 charity each month, it's about raising money for good causes

I personally have no plans at current to reversing the decision that has been voted upon, I think it's important to keep in mind that not only members from UK & USA take part on a regular basis, there are some from France, Canada & Australia to my knowledge.

I will never please every one, nor will I ever have time to private message every YDC participant.

Agressive and appalled are two different things. I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone could possibly bring about a vote to end something that was never voted on to begin with. At the time YDC USA started it was intended to be a fun thing done to bring about a cheerful competition between the UK and the USA. It was never, I repeat never intended to be a split from the UK. We never cared that the scales were balanced in the the UK's favor. It was fun, nothing more nothing less.

But now to have this vote when it is perfectly well known that the UK outnumbers the US is what angers me. It was wrong and unbelievably underhanded. I don't blame you as much as I blame the individual pulling your strings. I'm sorry you take me as aggressive, but when I see something so totally wrong as this I tend to get angry, never aggressive.

Forum Diehard
    View gramma1111's Feedback (+746)
    All-About gramma1111
    View gramma1111's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    I feel very strongly that the US splitting off its YDC was a mistake and have voted for remaking it as one.
    That is really odd Kim as you were all for it in the beginning.

View pearlygirl555's Feedback (+203)
    All-About pearlygirl555
    View pearlygirl555's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think those first couple USA YDCs were maybe more in the "cheerful competition" spirit because there were more USA members taking part. When I peek back through the early USA YDC social group posts I see a lot of folk who don't participate much anymore, and I also see the group morale sagging as the core of active participants shrinks smaller and smaller. Hasn't been a particularly fun thing to watch or be a part of, speaking only for myself of course.

By having the USA YDC it guaranteed that there would be a monthly nominated US charity, but since each YDC participant has the chance to benefit charities of their choice with their own auctions, the US members could still decide among themselves to support the American Cancer Society, AHA, or whatever. Jan could then put together the USA YDC pimp/listing as she did this time; I don't see how recombining the YDC strips us of this opportunity.

There was a hope that having a greater US profile in the YDC would attract more US members to participate. I'm not sure that this was accomplished but I think the removal of the pimp thread to the charity forum perhaps decreased the overall YDC visibility, at least among those who are active on the forums. When people have talked about how they found the YDC, it seems like most of them said they noticed the pimp thread on the KT. Now that Sarah has been able to move that back to the KT, perhaps keeping the "USA YDC" in the auction titles will indeed give a higher profile and attract more participants, US members included.

It's no secret that there are far fewer US YDC participants, and that doesn't look like something that will change overnight. If someone wants to run a poll concerning YDC issues, it doesn't seem feasible to wait until such a time as there are equal numbers of US and UK participants. Would we rather Sarah just make decisions on her own, or would we like to have the chance to respond to a poll? I think everyone who has headed up the YDC has done their best to see the thing through fairly, and I'm sure the polls would still be posted if the USA had more members than the UK did. The polling does not strike me as being underhanded.

I don't think any individual or group is pulling Sarah's strings. I think she got the most votes and I'm glad she is willing to take this on. Lord knows I'd be running as fast as I damn well could in the opposite direction, if someone even hinted that I should step up to the plate. It seems like a thankless task, especially during this recent transitional period.

When I think of the YDC, I think of something that encourages charity and pulling together. It's a good day when UK members list YDC auctions to benefit US charities, just as it's a good day when US members win YDC auctions to benefit overseas causes. The bottom line is, we have this opportunity to help those in need and have some fun in the process; why put our energies in any other direction than that?

"You're a guest of nature.....so behave!"

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gramma1111 View Post
    That is really odd Kim as you were all for it in the beginning.
    Was I? I don't remember that, but it I suppose it could be true. However, since I do not practice "stick by an opinion even when it's proved to be wrong" and am always happy to learn from experience, I can't really see how it's relevant.

Part of my reason for feeling it was a mistake is due to having watched the USA YDC Social group and how the anti-British feeling has crept in there, and it's all got a lot darker.

But then, I did say last month that I'd be backing off from such an active part in the YDC and only had to put that on hold because, much to my surprise, I won 75 and got to choose the charity & coordinate payments for 76. Thank you for reminding me why I made that choice.

And while we're here... who on earth do you think is "pulling Sarah's strings" (boy, there's an offensive phrase)!? I can assure you if for some reason you'd been thinking it was me, you couldn't be further from the truth! But I can't think of any other likely candidates, and Sarah's always struck me as a woman of considerable character who'd be unlikely to agree to be anybody's puppet.

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pearlygirl555 View Post
    I think those first couple USA YDCs were maybe more in the "cheerful competition" spirit because there were more USA members taking part. When I peek back through the early USA YDC social group posts I see a lot of folk who don't participate much anymore, and I also see the group morale sagging as the core of active participants shrinks smaller and smaller. Hasn't been a particularly fun thing to watch or be a part of, speaking only for myself of course.

By having the USA YDC it guaranteed that there would be a monthly nominated US charity, but since each YDC participant has the chance to benefit charities of their choice with their own auctions, the US members could still decide among themselves to support the American Cancer Society, AHA, or whatever. Jan could then put together the USA YDC pimp/listing as she did this time; I don't see how recombining the YDC strips us of this opportunity.

There was a hope that having a greater US profile in the YDC would attract more US members to participate. I'm not sure that this was accomplished but I think the removal of the pimp thread to the charity forum perhaps decreased the overall YDC visibility, at least among those who are active on the forums. When people have talked about how they found the YDC, it seems like most of them said they noticed the pimp thread on the KT. Now that Sarah has been able to move that back to the KT, perhaps keeping the "USA YDC" in the auction titles will indeed give a higher profile and attract more participants, US members included.

It's no secret that there are far fewer US YDC participants, and that doesn't look like something that will change overnight. If someone wants to run a poll concerning YDC issues, it doesn't seem feasible to wait until such a time as there are equal numbers of US and UK participants. Would we rather Sarah just make decisions on her own, or would we like to have the chance to respond to a poll? I think everyone who has headed up the YDC has done their best to see the thing through fairly, and I'm sure the polls would still be posted if the USA had more members than the UK did. The polling does not strike me as being underhanded.

I don't think any individual or group is pulling Sarah's strings. I think she got the most votes and I'm glad she is willing to take this on. Lord knows I'd be running as fast as I damn well could in the opposite direction, if someone even hinted that I should step up to the plate. It seems like a thankless task, especially during this recent transitional period.

When I think of the YDC, I think of something that encourages charity and pulling together. It's a good day when UK members list YDC auctions to benefit US charities, just as it's a good day when US members win YDC auctions to benefit overseas causes. The bottom line is, we have this opportunity to help those in need and have some fun in the process; why put our energies in any other direction than that?

I can't find a single word I can bear to trim in that. Well said!

Le sigh

The post below appeared in a thread here
    http://meetup.ebid.net/showthread.php?t=136413

I remember it well because I responded with sadness and surprise to it and the suggestion that people felt like this in the USA. I imagine that this is the kind of thing that Sarah is trying to respond to by attempting to make us all pull together. Sadly again it isn't working ....

"I noticed the comment that YDC is not a clique. I have to disagree. As a USA participant, it has from time to time come to my attention that USA participants sometimes feel left out of the YDC "inner circle". Be this perceived only or a reality is really immaterial.

For instance, right now there are still 27 USA YDC auctions running. That pimp thread seems as good as totally finished. I do know that there is steady and reliable support for the USA participants by some YDCers from across the pond. But honestly, I believe there is less USA involvement in general because of "the perception"."

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiesauctions View Post
    as a fun challenge between the US and UK YDCer's, another was because it was thought that it would be unlikely that there would be a US winner simply because of the difference in the number of US and UK users and the postage costs so US members wouldn't get to nominate a featured charity.
    And where does this leave me ??? As the only member from France who appears on the forums - let alone takes part in the YDC ??? There is currently a UK winner and a USA winner....... I have never asked what would happen if an auction of mine "won" a YDC and I can't say it has ever bothered me - I take part to raise money for charity - not to "win"!!

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lejoueurdepipeau View Post
    And where does this leave me ??? As the only member from France who appears on the forums - let alone takes part in the YDC ??? There is currently a UK winner and a USA winner....... I have never asked what would happen if an auction of mine "won" a YDC but can't say it has ever bothered me - I take part to raise money for charity!!
    Interesting you should raise that. For a while there it looked as though I was going to win again this month - I'd already decided to ask you to choose a French charity. Sorry I didn't quite make it.

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    Interesting you should raise that. For a while there it looked as though I was going to win again this month - I'd already decided to ask you to choose a French charity. Sorry I didn't quite make it.
    It's the thought that counts - and I appreciate it! At least there is one person who has noticed I'm here!

Thread Information