Thread: individual Or Business Seller

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: individual Or Business Seller

Quote Originally Posted by Maelbrigda View Post
    dont know the second one. I did a superb line of high quality t-shirts and pagany items from som diff and they sold well but cancelled my contract when i gave up WB. I also used puck as do a few others on ebid
    Som diff is the other one I was thinking of...I still have their paperwork here.

As I remember they wanted me to send all kinds of info to them...I might have another look at them now that I have opened my new age store.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm registered as a business because that is what I am. Frankly, I'm not happy with sellers that fail to operate properly under the laws of their particular state or country. This includes licensing laws applicable to those attempting to earn an income from a venture. Those sellers that operate on a continuous basis in an attempt to derive income from their efforts should, in my opinion, follow all the laws regarding licensing and registration. Not to do so is to operate an unlicensed business and a crime in many jurisdictions and, depending on the nature of the business, the criminal penalties can be severe.

While I'm not overly concerned with how anyone registers on eBid, I see no advantage to not registering here as a business. However, anyone based in my home state needs to be registered as a business in order to collect state sales/use tax as required by state law. I would urge all sellers to check with their state or authority in their country to determine what, if any, licensing is required. Florida residents, check with the Florida Department of Revenue, the Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulation (Board of Auctioneers), County Tax collector (Occupational License) and Your City (City Occupational Licenses are required by some municipalities). If you operate under a name other than your full legal name, check on the fictitious name statutes with the Florida Division of Corporations.

People that operate unlicensed businesses are not only hurting the operators of businesses operating within the law, but are also committing a crime.

By the way, in some places even the holding of yard sales are regulated and require a permit. Most are limited in the number of yard sales that may be held in a year.

Quote Originally Posted by dardonboi View Post
    Are we a business? Are we not a business? Does it really matter?

I don't buy from business sellers because they are the ones that usually don't stand behind their product. I don't buy from business sellers because if I want new product I will go to a brick and mortar so that I can see and feel the product I want.

These are my personal feelings but I am sure I am not alone in these feelings.
    I'm sorry but I don't understand this comment... You would rather I break the law of the land I live in and register on eBid as an individual? You would then buy from me as that somehow makes me more trustworthy and more likely to stand behind my product than someone who is properly and legally registered as a business??? What evidence do you have that business sellers on eBid "usually" don't "stand behind their product?"

It is also possible to buy items that aren't new to sell on - still makes you a business/antique dealer/junk shop/depot vente etc.

Forum Master
    View DZAMBO's Feedback (+480)
    All-About DZAMBO
    View DZAMBO's Listings
    Forum Posts

Like I say many times in USA you can be self-employed and register for that and start business and pay business license BUT business owner must PROVE in the future where time comes for Tax to have enough business sold to meet certain business required limits for that particular business you’re running, I am business owner from 2002 and if I not meet that required limits or have loss in 3 years in row tax man will consider my business only for ‘’hobby activity’’…in both cases I will need to pay tax but if I have profit and meet that required limits I can write off many my cost and activity for that business but I need to have proof for that in way of paper work and after that I can have even big return from the tax man….but if I not meet that required limits or have loss after loss I will be only ‘’hobby business’’ which in other way I CAN’T write off nothing and I will pay tax but very small amount….
    For online sales Government for the private sellers and all around business order even Pay Pal to report end of year anybody who make sales minimum of $20.000 or have 200 transactions minimum but each seller or business MUST meet BOTH required limits for that…and if you do Pay Pal will report you end of year and your Pay Pal account will be transferred like Business account and if you don’t like that you will not have choice accept that or Pay Pal will close your private account….
    In the end I personally think on eBay many private sellers meet that required sales…
    On Bid I don’t think even if we include all countries and USA sellers in here don’t even come close to that limit of $20.000 in sales, so many in here can sell in peace without worrying for Pay Pal to report you each end of year…
    So Government even for the USA sellers set limit of $20.000 to become REAL business seller…all below that Government consider only for hobby seller and if you’re not business before that and go bellow that required limit you no need to report anything if you don’t like….which is in my opinion pretty fair game because even $20.000 is not enough to make living in here for a year so why pay tax for that…leave peoples alone….
    AMEN………

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DZAMBO View Post
    Like I say many times in USA you can be self-employed and register for that and start business and pay business license BUT business owner must PROVE in the future where time comes for Tax to have enough business sold to meet certain business required limits for that particular business you’re running, I am business owner from 2002 and if I not meet that required limits or have loss in 3 years in row tax man will consider my business only for ‘’hobby activity’’…in both cases I will need to pay tax but if I have profit and meet that required limits I can write off many my cost and activity for that business but I need to have proof for that in way of paper work and after that I can have even big return from the tax man….but if I not meet that required limits or have loss after loss I will be only ‘’hobby business’’ which in other way I CAN’T write off nothing and I will pay tax but very small amount….
    For online sales Government for the private sellers and all around business order even Pay Pal to report end of year anybody who make sales minimum of $20.000 or have 200 transactions minimum but each seller or business MUST meet BOTH required limits for that…and if you do Pay Pal will report you end of year and your Pay Pal account will be transferred like Business account and if you don’t like that you will not have choice accept that or Pay Pal will close your private account….
    In the end I personally think on eBay many private sellers meet that required sales…
    On Bid I don’t think even if we include all countries and USA sellers in here don’t even come close to that limit of $20.000 in sales, so many in here can sell in peace without worrying for Pay Pal to report you each end of year…
    So Government even for the USA sellers set limit of $20.000 to become REAL business seller…all below that Government consider only for hobby seller and if you’re not business before that and go bellow that required limit you no need to report anything if you don’t like….which is in my opinion pretty fair game because even $20.000 is not enough to make living in here for a year so why pay tax for that…leave peoples alone….
    AMEN………
    Not sure I understand what you're saying. Regardless of whatever amount PayPal sets as what you need to make for them to report to the IRS doesn't matter. Any enterprise that is engaged in an attempt to derive an income from its activities is engaged in operating a business. The fact that the business fails to make a profit merely makes it an unprofitable business.

Quote Originally Posted by dardonboi View Post
    Are we a business? Are we not a business? Does it really matter?

I am registered as an individual because that fits me best under USA laws. I do it as a money making proposition, to say otherwise would be silly. It is also a way to dispose those things you accumulate in 70 years of living.

I try not to buy from sellers that sell all new stuff because so often those items are drop-shipped. I HATE DROP SHIPPING!

I don't buy from business sellers because they are the ones that usually don't stand behind their product. I don't buy from business sellers because if I want new product I will go to a brick and mortar so that I can see and feel the product I want.

These are my personal feelings but I am sure I am not alone in these feelings.
    If you have accumulated all the things you sell over the years and start selling them you do not have to register as a business by law, But as soon as you start buying or making things to sell to make a profit then under uk law you have to register as a business.
    If you do not register you can be punished by heavy fines or even sentenced to a prison sentence depending how long and what money you have made, It is fraud simple as.

I would only buy from a business seller as you are protected a lot better, All my items i sell are brand new and in stock, I have never used a dropship service as i would sooner buy from a wholesaler and examine the stock before i send it out.
    Last edited by whittingtonsales; 13th June 2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post
    I'm registered as a business because that is what I am. Frankly, I'm not happy with sellers that fail to operate properly under the laws of their particular state or country. This includes licensing laws applicable to those attempting to earn an income from a venture. Those sellers that operate on a continuous basis in an attempt to derive income from their efforts should, in my opinion, follow all the laws regarding licensing and registration. Not to do so is to operate an unlicensed business and a crime in many jurisdictions and, depending on the nature of the business, the criminal penalties can be severe.

While I'm not overly concerned with how anyone registers on eBid, I see no advantage to not registering here as a business. However, anyone based in my home state needs to be registered as a business in order to collect state sales/use tax as required by state law. I would urge all sellers to check with their state or authority in their country to determine what, if any, licensing is required. Florida residents, check with the Florida Department of Revenue, the Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulation (Board of Auctioneers), County Tax collector (Occupational License) and Your City (City Occupational Licenses are required by some municipalities). If you operate under a name other than your full legal name, check on the fictitious name statutes with the Florida Division of Corporations.

People that operate unlicensed businesses are not only hurting the operators of businesses operating within the law, but are also committing a crime.

By the way, in some places even the holding of yard sales are regulated and require a permit. Most are limited in the number of yard sales that may be held in a year.

I agree with you 100%

Forum Master
    View DZAMBO's Feedback (+480)
    All-About DZAMBO
    View DZAMBO's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post
    Not sure I understand what you're saying. Regardless of whatever amount PayPal sets as what you need to make for them to report to the IRS doesn't matter. Any enterprise that is engaged in an attempt to derive an income from its activities is engaged in operating a business. The fact that the business fails to make a profit merely makes it an unprofitable
    business.
    Yep….any Enterprise…but like I say person must meet certain criteria to be consider like business seller because in that case person can make huge write offs, mileage, supply, equipment…etc…etc….and after that DON’T own much tax likes before he owns…but if you don’t meet criteria you will be consider like Hobby business and in that case you CAN’T write off anything and you will pay tax in full and depend how much you make from hobby sales…
    I run my business in the past 10 years and I have license (same one like anybody can see in the wall in various stores) and on it is it sometimes amount how much you make in previous year and how much you pay tax for that but sometimes comes empty without numbers because company can hide numbers but still on it is it your company name addressee and legal number business…
    For online sales I already write Pay Pal will report you for IRS if you breach limit in end of year and that limit Government set all below that I mean amount of the money Pay Pal will not report you and all is up to you ONLY if like to report any income from online sales or not…AMEN…….

P.S. All is about business and hobby because again I say end of year is way of different for your tax return…you can write off many stuff regarding business but hobby you can’t…that’s all…

Quote Originally Posted by Maelbrigda View Post
    lol so now ive changed to business you wont buy from me (crying smilie)
    I would buy from you because you are active on the forums and I feel comfortable with you. Problem I have at my age is that there really are very few things I NEED or want. I am trying to get rid of stuff. Not accumulate more.

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    I guess you have never heard of a non profit making business then?
    All you have to do is be a business in the USA and get a good accountant.

Thread Information