eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Make an Offer :-)

View Barrattess's Feedback (+2717)
    All-About Barrattess
    View Barrattess's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Make an Offer :-)

Hi ...
    This is probably a rubbish question ...and I expect some rubbish answers ... but here goes
    ... would it be feasible to put items on with 'Make me an Offer'...but without a price?
    I know this is not possible at the moment but wondered if it could be done.

A couple of reasons for this question...First of all by virtue of what I sell... most items can be compared to other selling venues but I have in my possession some quite unique pieces that are just not available elsewhere...and as a result I would not know what would be a good asking price.
    Another reason is I would just like to 'sell up'...and so would consider being open to 'all offers'... (and yes I know probably some form of abuse from people who think 50p plus free postage is a good deal )...

anyway...be gentle here I'm feeling fragile

Cheers

Have a click...You know you want to...

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Make an Offer :-)

Make an Offer without a BIN price? Surely that's an auction?

View purplestevie's Feedback (+8205)
    All-About purplestevie
    View purplestevie's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Barrattess View Post
    Hi ...
    This is probably a rubbish question ...and I expect some rubbish answers ... but here goes
    ... would it be feasible to put items on with 'Make me an Offer'...but without a price?
    I know this is not possible at the moment but wondered if it could be done.

A couple of reasons for this question...First of all by virtue of what I sell... most items can be compared to other selling venues but I have in my possession some quite unique pieces that are just not available elsewhere...and as a result I would not know what would be a good asking price.
    Another reason is I would just like to 'sell up'...and so would consider being open to 'all offers'... (and yes I know probably some form of abuse from people who think 50p plus free postage is a good deal )...

anyway...be gentle here I'm feeling fragile

Cheers
    Hi,

No its not a rubbish question, I once stood a local car boot sale and didn't put prices on anything i asked people to make me an offer of course one or 2 would say 20p! but some offers were quite substantial and a lot more than i had in mind.

Do you not think the make an offer option in place is working for you?

I have several regulars who use this option, as long as i make a profit that's all that matters.

View purplestevie's Feedback (+8205)
    All-About purplestevie
    View purplestevie's Listings
    Forum Posts

Just looked at your actions, you dont have the make an offer option so potential buyers will pass you by.

All-About Barrattess
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Make an Offer without a BIN price? Surely that's an auction?
    Yes Mel...sounds like an auction to me too ...but this would only work if I was placing the items on 'The Other Side'...as we all know...auctions have not really taken off here...start an auction for 99p and yep...more often than not ...this is what you will get.

To have the 'Make an Offer' option...would give the opportunity to say no...whereas an auction you cannot ...

All-About Barrattess
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by purplestevie View Post
    Just looked at your actions, you dont have the make an offer option so potential buyers will pass you by.

Hi Stevie....I do have MAO on some of the items ...and also a notice at the top of every page inviting offers on every item...best I can do at the moment...

Forum Saint
    Kingswinford, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View crafters_corner_2's Feedback (+327)
    All-About crafters_corner_2
    View crafters_corner_2's Listings
    Forum Posts

I understand totally what you mean. But I think you would then have to put some sort of reserve price on the item which is not a favoured approach to many buyers (or sellers on here).

At the moment, you have no means to offer an item without a price; you will have to set a realistic value - one which you are happy with.

Hope that wasn't a rubbish answer

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Interesting idea, but I've got a couple of reservations so I'll play devil's advocate for a bit. While basically each bid on an item sold at auction is an offer, only ABSOLUTE (Item will be sold to the highest bidder regardless of price) would fit the bill. Even at that, an auctioneer at an outcry style auction usually starts by asking an amount for a opening bid. Rarely would you get an auctioneer saying "what ya gonna bid?" without following immediately with an amount. Of course, since online auctions usually require a minimum starting bid, they don't legally qualify as ABSOLUTE.

I suppose an auction program could be developed where no minimum starting bid would be required, however, it would be extremely risky for the seller. Legally they would be required, at least in most US states, to sell to the highest bidder no matter the offer is or be subject to prosecution for fraud.

With regard to listing using the Make Offer without a fixed price, I would think that it could be possible. However, in any type of negotiated type of selling there has to be a starting point. Usually I would, as a seller, want to be the one to set the starting point. Of course, in situations such as flea markets or yard sales the response, "Make me an offer" when a potential buyer asks the price of something has the advantage of forcing the potential buyer of tipping their hand and placing some sort of value on the item. Frankly, if the seller jumped at the offer, as a buyer I'd figure I paid too much.

It also needs to be remembered that at a face to face selling situation the buyer and seller aren't limited to a specific number of offer/counteroffer exchanges. Sending an offer, even electronically, takes time. Negotiating over the internet is a lot more time consuming that than a face to face transaction. Not to mention that in online haggling both sides lose the ability to read such things as body language and the ability to examine the merchandise. The feel and even smell of an item can play an important part in making or breaking a deal. Walk past a bakery and smell the aroma of fresh baked bread or stick your head in a new car on a dealer's showroom floor and you'll get my point.

Of course, I'm not saying that it might not work for some, but I would think that many sellers wouldn't use such an option.

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Interesting concept. Make an offer only. No auction, no asking price just asking what a buyer is willing to pay. Probably need to allow more offers then eBid currently allows but could work.
    When we dont know the value of an item we have a tendency to overprice or underprice. This might bring out true value.

Thread Information