Thread: Bonus for eBid? :D

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Bonus for eBid? :D

Quote Originally Posted by purplestevie View Post
    This is my last post on this forum i can see clearly how things work on here if you disagree with (mostly the stalwarts) you are attacked.
    Is that a promise? You have said that before, and then returned to troll us againl.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

Quote Originally Posted by Anniemcc2 View Post
    LOL - same here
    Count me in as well.

I was dutifully doing my tax returns until 2 years ago always resulting in a refund or no tax payable, so eventually they sent me a letter telling me to stop doing a tax return.

Btw, this thread has gone completely off topic. The OP post was "could Ebid benefit from the fee changes on the other site, but it has turned into a tax/tax avoidance/business v private seller thread.

I looked at their forums; there doesn't seem to be to much negative reactions and only a handful of people threatening to leave; alas, it doesn't look like Ebid might benefit from this in a big way - such a shame!

View Teddyrose54's Feedback (+158)
    All-About Teddyrose54
    View Teddyrose54's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes it has gone completely off target, but then this is Ebid and that happens a lot

Glad to read about your letter, so there is hope for some of us yet.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed I get one soon, as my forms are due in this month.

Regards why anyone should be interested in another's income.
    Mainly because there is a reason for taxes.
    No, not to keep MP's, but to pay for hospitals, schools, pensions, street lights, police, etc etc.
    Those who don't pay their dues are short changing everyone, not just the government.
    As the government does not have any money, all their money comes from the public, as I am sure you all know.
    No one wants to part with their money for taxes, but everyone wants the services it provides.
    That's why I believe it's important that everyone who should pay, do pay.

I'll never believe in the, I'm all right Jack attitude, that does not help any country.

I can't see why it should be a problem, if you don't earn enough to pay.
    Then like Marianne, you could end up with a letter from them telling you, they don't need your tax return.

As for the original question.
    This has been talked about so many times, and still everything here stays the same.
    Some come, then leave. Many who come don't post on the forums.
    Someone posted we need people to know the site is here.
    All I can say is, if they don't know it's here by now, then it seems they don't want to know.
    Which I find all really rather sad.
    As this site had a lot going for it.

Ipswich - The Jewel Of The East -, Suffolk, United Kingdom
    View squern's Feedback (+2196)
    All-About squern
    View squern's Listings
    Forum Posts

I agree that if income tax is payable, it should be paid.
    However, that doesn't apply to everyone. Large companies can avoid tax by claiming they are based elsewhere.
    Large companies can come to "private arrangements" with HMRC to pay what they, the companies, feel like paying.

So the tax regime is not applied equally to everybody. That ought to be illegal.
    It is no wonder that there is no rush by small sellers to award the HMRC their hard-earned cash.

If HMRC insists on having one rule for the rich, and another for everyone else, they will not get much support from the "everyone else".

Some come from TOS (like me) after another piece of outrageous behaviour from the site, and find it difficult to transfer.
    This is not an easy site to get to know, or find yoiur way around. I gave up a couple of times, then gave it another try.

If eBid could make the site more easily accessible to new buyers, make it more intuitive, smooth out some of the clunkiness, more people would stay.

Ipswich - The Jewel Of The East -, Suffolk, United Kingdom
    View squern's Feedback (+2196)
    All-About squern
    View squern's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Teddyrose54 View Post
    Yes it has gone completely off target, but then this is Ebid and that happens a lot

Glad to read about your letter, so there is hope for some of us yet.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed I get one soon, as my forms are due in this month.

Regards why anyone should be interested in another's income.
    Mainly because there is a reason for taxes.

No, not to keep MP's, but to pay for hospitals, schools, pensions, street lights, police, etc etc.
    Those who don't pay their dues are short changing everyone, not just the government.
    As the government does not have any money, all their money comes from the public, as I am sure you all know.
    No one wants to part with their money for taxes, but everyone wants the services it provides.
    That's why I believe it's important that everyone who should pay, do pay.

I'll never believe in the, I'm all right Jack attitude, that does not help any country.

I can't see why it should be a problem, if you don't earn enough to pay.
    Then like Marianne, you could end up with a letter from them telling you, they don't need your tax return.

This has been talked about so many times, and still everything here stays the same.
    Some come, then leave. Many who come don't post on the forums.
    Someone posted we need people to know the site is here.
    All I can say is, if they don't know it's here by now, then it seems they don't want to know.
    Which I find all really rather sad.
    As this site had a lot going for it.
    Nobody could disagree about the necessity for taxes, but that doesn't explain why a small number of people consider another person's private financial affairs should be open for their scrutiny. Why they feel they have a right to know it.

Would you ask a complete stranger in the bus queue about their income and tax affairs? I suggest not, even if you had a good dentist.

I am appalled at such presumption, and bad manners.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5881)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

In fact being a business or private seller as declared on this site says nothing about the tax affairs of the ebid member concerned.

My account includes both business & private sales - I declare the business ones and HMRC are happy with that.

I do rather disagree about not telling HMRC about tax dodgers.

We all pay extra tax because of them.

In the same way the main costs incurred by the credit card companies are to pay for fraud - we all pay for that.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

All-About Teddyrose54
    Forum Posts

As far as I am aware, no one has asked any individual about their finances.
    Nor would anyone.
    Nor would any one reply to such a request, unless it was requested by a government office.

Regards big companies not paying. Must admit I was waiting for that one
    Well they have very clever accountants and lawyers to help them out.
    But they still get caught, maybe not for some time, or for the whole amount they owe.
    But they still have to account for what their income is.

If you feel that way about big companies, then perhaps you can see how someone just starting up feels.
    They go to their wholesaler, buy their stock, do their accounts, or pay to have an accountant do them, then fill in their return form each year.
    Only to find them selves up against someone doing the same thing,but not doing any accounts, nor filling in any return forms.

You can say it is up to them what they do.
    And I would agree with you, except when it also effects others.
    But then you shouldn't complain about the lack of money for doctors, soldiers, schools, lack of street lights, etc.
    Nor should you complain when your taxes go up.

Those who take from the pot, should put into the pot.

All-About Teddyrose54
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    In fact being a business or private seller as declared on this site says nothing about the tax affairs of the ebid member concerned.

My account includes both business & private sales - I declare the business ones and HMRC are happy with that.

I do rather disagree about not telling HMRC about tax dodgers.

We all pay extra tax because of them.

In the same way the main costs incurred by the credit card companies are to pay for fraud - we all pay for that.
    Well said Madelaine.

Forum Lurker
    View james1968's Feedback (+159)
    All-About james1968
    View james1968's Listings
    Forum Posts

But isn't it the black economy that keeps this country going ?. If the black economy was shut-down overnight, then the lack of extra free-cash flowing around the system would lead to a rise in unemployment and cause an extra strain on our over-stretched benefits system.

I would dearly love to earn enough to pay Tax as a self-employed person. I have calculated that by paying my spouse and by claiming my BB/telephone/mobile phone and other costs such as printer ink and fuel running costs, I could easily turn a profit of £25k p/a without having to pay a penny to HMRC.

Anyway, let's get this thread back on topic.

Ebid NEED to find enough money to either sponsor a TV program, or pay for a couple of TV adverts in the UK in order to let the people know that we exist.
    I
    will continue to list stuff on both here and TOS, but anything sold on TO will have a note inside stating 'You would have saved £x.xx by purchasing this item through our Ebid account'.

Maybe if all of us who sell on both sites do this for every item sold on TOS, then we might just see a growth in the number of users here.

We do of course, need to keep on mithering G&M to introduce a 'Multiples' to help those who sell variants of the same item (I.E. Mens brown broagues sizes 4 -10).
    All good things come to those who wait, and wait, and wait.....

Many of you won't know me...But I have been here a few years now YooHoo Madelaine ,and you lovely postcard and book people.
    eBid has grown, slowly but surely and we still discuss advertising. I don't sell a lot and like others I have a load of inherited "Stuff". I too filled in the Tax forms and then got a letter to say I needn't any more. I am not a business. I did have one and trust me I have retired but need the extra few pennies to help pay for my fuel bills ( Nil desperandum! Another 5 years and I will get TV free )
    I think I could be better off if I was sent to jail for tax evasion. I would have a nice warm cell and three meals a day and lots of time to read all the books I keep meaning to read if I had time.
    I think we may get a few more people trying us out, The Other side is making selling on line very hard work and unless you are a careful seller you could come a cropper with so many pitfalls in their rules.

Please don't abandon selling here. Don't let others get you upset. many who shout loudest on the forums have been and gone. Those friendly ,pleasant souls are still here ...
    YOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO! Cornish maid & Co . Dodgy knees and a grim year last year won't stop me from annoying the Carp out of everyone round the KT again
    Click to open The Allsorts Cupboard

Widen your search Horizons
    Find it on eBid
    Click here to join the fun for FREE

Thread Information