eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: feebay Security breach

View shabbird's Feedback (+89)
    All-About shabbird
    View shabbird's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default feebay Security breach

eBay hit by major cyber attack: 128 million are urged to change their password NOW
    after hackers access personal details

Full article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...plain-why.html

Your ebid and other website accounts could be at risk if you have the same username and password.

Its getting really scary to be online this days

Default Re: feebay Security breach

if they have your personal details what good is it changing you password?
    Don't walk in front of me..I may not follow-don't walk behind me..I may not lead-just walk beside me and be my friend.
    Albert Camus

PERSONAL RECORD SET
    27hours 30minutes without sleep

Quote Originally Posted by craig7501 View Post
    if they have your personal details what good is it changing you password?
    Exactly so. This happened last February (not certain if this is second attack). Hackers were trying to jump between feebay and paypal as many people use the same password for both. I never use two the same so they failed.

I ended up on the phone with feebay getting the correct email address set up again (the hackers had changed it to a hotmail address with the name "qwerty123...")

Many of the hacking problems experienced by various websites could be avoided by simply banning the use of hotmail and yahoo type addresses which are so easily obtainable. A mail order company I was involved with a few years ago did just this and had only one theft in 5 years - and that was due to goods being delivered to the wrong address; the driver ignored the postcode.

All the fraudsters seem to use yahoo, hotmail, rocketmail and gmail. It's much more difficult to commit fraud using an address provided by an ISP.

I had my Ebay account hacked at back in February 2008. The hacker moved all my listings onto 'featured' and ran me up an Ebay bill of £967.

The worst thing about it was the Ebay customer support, they confirmed I had been hacked but then did nothing to put my account right for 24 days, which ruined my business at the time, despite emailing, phoning and live chatting with them every single day. They told me three times that the problem had been referred to the bosses higher up when it hadn't. I had to take my bank card off in case they took the £967 so I couldn't list and because I couldn't list they took away my power seller status and listing discounts. In the end I told them where they could stuff their account !

They tried to tell me then that I must have opened a dodgy link but I knew I hadn't and after a bit of detective work I found other people in the pottery section had been hacked on the same day as me and we exchanged quite a few emails at the time which I still have as proof. Ebay kept it all hushed up at the time.

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

That's awful, Cornish....
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Eeek! Not Good. It's so emotionally draining working through on line financial problems.
    Anyways Cornish I am glad it got sorted.....
    Now a brief warning.
    Due to the news report this Morning I have been tied to the PC Changing Passwords and checking all accounts. (OK I may be a little paranoid....I am only 5 ft..... an often overlooked.....)

Lo and behold I found a strange transaction in my Paypal account that wasn't there yesterday.
    It was to a private looking email. (Not a subscription type thingy) It was a REPEAT payment to be taken yearly.....
    I didn't recognise it. I hadn't authorised it. I certainly have not opened any suspicious emails...I am Very careful.
    Paypal are looking into it. It was reported and I am so glad I went in to change passwords. It may or may not be due to hacking from ebay but at least I spotted it. it was a small amount, £5.00 maybe easily overlooked.
    So do check out all your accounts everywhere on a regular basis.

Oh! and I will not be responsible for my actions the next time a bank Clerk/sales person treats me with condescension when I refuse to use their on Line banking Services. I have to patiently explain this is NOT because I am elderly but as a retired IT trainer I am VERY good at using computers. THEY don't frighten me but the ease by which accounts can be hacked does. I wonder if most Bank Gurus/managers, Alan Sugar, Richard Branson and other financial wiz kids use an ordinary on line banking service. I bet they don't!
    Click to open The Allsorts Cupboard

Widen your search Horizons
    Find it on eBid
    Click here to join the fun for FREE

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Just checked my eBay account - no messages, not asked to change password, but have anyway as a precaution.

would you need to change passwords on accounts you don't use on ebay as well ? these people are a damn nuisance and should not be alive

Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View Huddylion's Feedback (+4843)
    All-About Huddylion
    View Huddylion's Listings
    Forum Posts

Just had a look at my ebay had a message about the breech and told to change password which I have done.
    My feedback of
    is 100% positive and has all been earnt here on Ebid

Quote Originally Posted by Anniemcc2 View Post
    Just checked my eBay account - no messages, not asked to change password, but have anyway as a precaution.
    I had a message come up as soon as I tried to log in yesterday so I've changed mine.

Thread Information