eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eye contact users

Default Re: Eye contact users

Quote Originally Posted by olivia8143 View Post
    I didn't see the chair finial coming up to meet me when I was bending down to pick something up (I was looking with my other eye) and it went straight through!
    I dont know what a chair finial is, but thats sounds ouchy enough without wanting to know!

View shezz's Feedback (+360)
    All-About shezz
    View shezz's Listings
    Forum Posts

I had cataract surgery twice and both went wrong. I'm now aphakic in one eye so need a contact lens to see anything at all and the other eye is now virtually blind because it was short sighted (virtually myopic) and so I didn't see the chair finial coming up to meet me when I was bending down to pick something up (I was looking with my other eye) and it went straight through!
    The contact lens I have is a gas permeable (hard lens) and only needs replacing every 2 years or so. They cost £70 so are very cost effective and don't take too much getting used to but if they slip off your cornea - ouch!
    Mine are sooooo soooooooooo flexible when i clean them I often turn them inside out, I have had to learn the art of deciding which way it is so difficult, but think I Know now time will tell
    Life is serious but taking it too seriously robs you of
    happiness, fun and productivity

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

I had cataract surgery twice and both went wrong. I'm now aphakic in one eye so need a contact lens to see anything at all and the other eye is now virtually blind because it was short sighted (virtually myopic) and so I didn't see the chair finial coming up to meet me when I was bending down to pick something up (I was looking with my other eye) and it went straight through!
    The contact lens I have is a gas permeable (hard lens) and only needs replacing every 2 years or so. They cost £70 so are very cost effective and don't take too much getting used to but if they slip off your cornea - ouch!
    Oh wow, I'm really sorry to hear this. Glad you have lenses that help.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

I've worn spectacles since the advent of the NHS and have used varifocal lenses since 1996. I've never been able to contemplate putting things into my eyes; it's difficult enough putting in my nightly glaucoma drops without trying to cope with contact lenses!

However, I worked for some years with a colleague who used varifocal lenses and also was able to use contact lenses. He used the two lens trick. The eyes are in fact part of the brain so there should be no problem in dealing with this system Shezz. In fact in keeping with all lenses, the image the eyes see is upside down and inverted left to right, but this is corrected in the brain, so eye training is pretty straightforward.

My personal reaction, for what it's worth, is to go with what you feel comfortable with; if the two lens trick is worrying, then do not use it. It's how you feel that is the important factor here. If you remain conscious that you are using two different types of lens then problems will remain.

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

If you do decide to use the two lens idea, I'd suggest using the distance lens in your dominant eye, as that is more important for things like driving.

As far as the bifocal lenses, you can't tell they are bifocal....you just start seeing everything.
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

All-About shezz
    View shezz's Listings
    Forum Posts

I know I said that I was learning the art of checking to see if the i had the contacts inside out, I don't think I've mastered it grrrrrr

Is there an easier way of checking or a certain feeling if you do put the contacts in the wrong way.

I will be glad when in a few months time i come into the KT and someone has started a thread about contacts and I can go on and post what a doddle it is to put contacts in and out and how clearly they are
    Last edited by shezz; 26th June 2014 at 09:13 AM.

All-About shezz
    View shezz's Listings
    Forum Posts

HerMajesty. I was in the chair and the opticion said

"put your hand over your eye any eye" this was to determine which eye to use for which lens.

They always say start with the right eye when taking out you contacts and then you put them in the right eye dish to soak them, wonder what happens if one day I put the right eye into the left eye and left in the right, my brain is confused enough now lol

Quote Originally Posted by shezz View Post
    I know I said that I was learning the art of checking to see if the i had the contacts inside out, I don't think I've mastered it grrrrrr

Is there an easier way of checking or a certain feeling if you do put the contacts in the wrong way.

I will be glad when in a few months time i come into the KT and someone has started a thread about contacts and I can go on and post what a doddle it is to put contacts in and out and how clearly they are
    I put the lens on my finger ready for sticking to my eyeball, then hold it facing something plain, I use a white tile. if the lens is correct it should be almost semi-circular. If it is wrong there will be a small lip round the edge. If you do put them in wrong they do feel slightly more uncomfortable, if they do feel uncomfortable I take them out, give them a clean with a few drops of saline then check them again and have another go.

One thing that can be bad when wearing lenses is eating kebabs. If you get the hot sauce on your fingers it does not always wash off properly, especially if you have had a drink or two. Next morning said sauce that has ended up on the lenses due to alcohol, late night and reduced care delivers a sensation that is similar to sticking a needle in your eye. It does however wake you up and make you forget any hangover.

All-About shezz
    View shezz's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kreativebargains View Post
    I put the lens on my finger ready for sticking to my eyeball, then hold it facing something plain, I use a white tile. if the lens is correct it should be almost semi-circular. If it is wrong there will be a small lip round the edge. If you do put them in wrong they do feel slightly more uncomfortable, if they do feel uncomfortable I take them out, give them a clean with a few drops of saline then check them again and have another go.

One thing that can be bad when wearing lenses is eating kebabs. If you get the hot sauce on your fingers it does not always wash off properly, especially if you have had a drink or two. Next morning said sauce that has ended up on the lenses due to alcohol, late night and reduced care delivers a sensation that is similar to sticking a needle in your eye. It does however wake you up and make you forget any hangover.
    That gave me a good chuckle.

Note to oneself no more wine or kebabs on a Friday, damn that's my only weekend pleasure after a full weeks work and I do I love chille on my chicken kebab.

Lip lol i got look for a lip can just about see the contact lense let alone a lip i do use a white towel over the sink when I put them in, the amount of times I've dropped them onto the towel and this morning I found it in my hair when I dropped it, just by chance I found it and don't ask lol, just glad they have a blue tinge on them
    Last edited by shezz; 26th June 2014 at 10:04 AM.

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shezz View Post
    HerMajesty. I was in the chair and the opticion said

"put your hand over your eye any eye" this was to determine which eye to use for which lens.

They always say start with the right eye when taking out you contacts and then you put them in the right eye dish to soak them, wonder what happens if one day I put the right eye into the left eye and left in the right, my brain is confused enough now lol
    It depends on two things. Are your eyes the same prescription strength? (ie: is the distance prescription the same in each eye?...and close up ditto?). If so, then no problem....it may just be a bit harder to adjust the focus automatically till you get used to it. If the prescription for each eye is different for distance, then there will be too much or too little correction in the distance (and prob close too), and you won't see quite as clearly. Still no big whoop. Just inconvenient. If noticeable, just swap them after cleaning or rinsing first.

I vary mine sometimes depending on the strength of the lenses I have on hand, so sometimes use a different eye for distance, or both distance, and just hope OH will read the menu for me if my arms are too short!! lol
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Thread Information