Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Which is best - Chromecast or Firestick?

Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View lofty100e's Feedback (+74)
    All-About lofty100e
    View lofty100e's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Which is best - Chromecast or Firestick?

As you may know lovefilm is shutting down at the end of October, as a result I will be moving to streaming.

In addition to lovefilm I am also signed up to Netflix. So I intend buying a device to enable me to bounce both amazon prime downloads and Netflix to my television

I am wondering if anyone can give any insight into which the best product would be please? Thanks in advance.
    To view my listings: click here: www.loftys-stores.com

To join eBid click this link: http://uk.ebid.net/buddy/253503

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Which is best - Chromecast or Firestick?

Quote Originally Posted by lofty100e View Post
    As you may know lovefilm is shutting down at the end of October, as a result I will be moving to streaming.

In addition to lovefilm I am also signed up to Netflix. So I intend buying a device to enable me to bounce both amazon prime downloads and Netflix to my television

I am wondering if anyone can give any insight into which the best product would be please? Thanks in advance.

i have netflix too, did no know you could download content, i ust browse find some thing to watch and watch, dont have a telly just do it over the internet onto a big screen
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

All-About lofty100e
    Forum Posts

Hi Sid you can download some netflix content now, they recently introduced it. Although I have not done that myself yet, my intention though is just to bounce the signal to my TV while streaming it on my laptop.

I think the downloads are something they are piloting with the idea of increasing it eventually.

View sidthelamp's Feedback (+541)
    All-About sidthelamp
    View sidthelamp's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Sid you can download some netflix content now, they recently introduced it. Although I have not done that myself yet, my intention though is just to bounce the signal to my TV while streaming it on my laptop.

I think the downloads are something they are piloting with the idea of increasing it eventually.

ahha i see, so you need bouncy box to the tv, i dont know about stuff like that, i shall watch and learn
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/under pressure

MY ATTITUDE IS A RESULT OF YOUR ACTIONS!!!
    IF YOU DONT LIKE IT BLAME YOURSELF.

Last Christmas we bought a dvd/blu-ray player with wi-fi and all a converter... this did the trick to stream movies from Amazon Prime and Netflix to our dinosaur of a tv.

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

i have a firestick and i can recommend its ease of use and choice of programmes
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

All-About lofty100e
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maelbrigda View Post
    i have a firestick and i can recommend its ease of use and choice of programmes
    The thing that concerns me is that both google and probably amazon as well are very proprietoral and tend to make their products in such a way that they do not lnteract with other systems easily.

Thanks

I have the Mk I Chromecast which proved to be the proverbial pain in the neck, which is why Google produced the Mk II so quickly! Both versions simply stream.

I have an Amazon Fire TV, a small box which is big brother to the Firestick. The advantage it has over its smaller brother, is that it may be connected to your hub via ethernet rather than wireless. This gives greater speed, and you do need a good speed for streaming. I do NOT have hundreds of feet of cable running around my house for this - I simply use a system called "Powerline", whereby the ethernet connection is made over the mains. I do not use Netflix, but it is on my Fire TV as a portal. All you would do would be start it up, enter user name etc and away to go; no need to stream from your PC. I'm sure the Firestick has this as well; if not it can be downloaded from Amazon as a free "app". (Yugh!! How I dislike that "word"!! )

If you are using Freeview with a box which records, check that out carefully. I discovered that my Humax box has Netflix as well as YouTube, BBC iPlayer and all the others (ITV etc) - it also allows streaming from a PC. I say "discovered" as I rarely read instructions except as a last resort! My guess is that most other Freeview recorders have these functions, so it's worth checking, if you have one.

The comments about Google and Amazon are quite right. Amazon does not allow you to download programs from Google Play. However, if I want something from Google Play I simply download it to a PC and then save it to a micro SD card and sideload it on to the Amazon Fire.

The Chromecast is much too limited; go for one of the Amazon toys; they are great fun!

Thread Information