Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: getting rid of norton help pls

Default getting rid of norton help pls

be back later to check

basically i screwed up my norton av subscription renewal, or they did - couldn't get a human response anywhere so decided to ditch it

loaded avg and zonealarm again

went into add/remove programmes, deleted th e programme there (norton i mean)
    but still some files left in the programmes folder
    wont let me delete , says access denied either because programme is in use (i disabled it tho) or check its not write protected or full or th at file is not currently in use

norton has disappeared off the add/remove programme options now so it s just these files hanging around which icant delete

will this be ok to leave or how can i get rid of them as i dont want avg potentially getting interfered with

Try booting into safemode, it may let you delete them then.

If you have XP click on "My Computer"
    Click on Drive C [Devices with removable storage]
    Click on Programme Files. Look for Norton [Though it could be filed under NAV] Right click on the Norton file and delete.

thanks

i did that dm - was under norton and also symantec folders
    seems to not want to delete all the dll files

will try the safe mode boot later then lucy as well

Norton is a pain in the butt to get rid of completely. This PC came with a 2 week trial of Norton ready installed. Didn't like it at all. I ended up installing RegScrub XP to get rid of all the little tailenders that it won't let you remove.

Em - try this: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...01092114452606

There are knowledge base article on Symantecs wesbite for removing aspects of the app that are playing up, and there are some downloadable tools for removing them too.

Alternatively, try reinstalling it from yuor media, stopping the AV services after installation then doing a problerm uninstall instead of trying to delete stuff.

View 2steps's Feedback (+525)
    All-About 2steps
    View 2steps's Listings
    Forum Posts

you could try asking on http://forums.techguy.org/

my nan tries uninstalling norton, gave her a ton of trouble and I don't know if she ever did get rid of it all

cheers peeps

its GONE....ZAPPED INTO OBLIVION lol
    i got a pop u p from norton in the end saying theres something wrong with the programme...for posterity in case anyone reads this after its long gone lol

i used a tool called symnrt.exe from the symantec site to remove it - took a while, must have been tonnes of folders and files lying around
    another job done
    sorted thks

saw this thread last week and only just got round to trying it, thanks Emma, i HATED that freackin' programme
    If the cap doesn't fit, why choose to wear it?

Thumbs up

Do know its a booger to get rid of,sometimes their files get used on other progs too.But if totally rid you done great.

Thread Information