Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Newbie from Ebay Needs Help!

Default Newbie from Ebay Needs Help!

Hello,

I just opened a store and I've searched all over to the point of frustration (unless I've overlooked), so could you all be kind enough to guide me in the right direction?

1. Shipping - There isn't a shipping calculator, so I have no idea how the shipping works on eBid. Do I have to know the cost of shipping when I list the item? If I don't know where it's going yet, how can I do this?

2. Google Checkout - Stupid question, but here goes: I've used it before to buy things, so does that mean I just use my email that I signed up at google checkout as my 'google checkout merchant ID'?

3. I made a banner at cooltext.com, saved it and uploaded it here. In IE all I see is a red X and it's not showing up at all in Mozilla Firefox! What am I doing wrong?

Thanks so much for your help!

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SevenEightTen View Post
    Hello,

I just opened a store and I've searched all over to the point of frustration (unless I've overlooked), so could you all be kind enough to guide me in the right direction?

1. Shipping - There isn't a shipping calculator, so I have no idea how the shipping works on eBid. Do I have to know the cost of shipping when I list the item? If I don't know where it's going yet, how can I do this?

2. Google Checkout - Stupid question, but here goes: I've used it before to buy things, so does that mean I just use my email that I signed up at google checkout as my 'google checkout merchant ID'?

3. I made a banner at cooltext.com, saved it and uploaded it here. In IE all I see is a red X and it's not showing up at all in Mozilla Firefox! What am I doing wrong?

Thanks so much for your help!
    First of all,welcome to the friendliest auction site on earth!
    To answer your questions where I can;
    1. I posted a reply to a question in a similar vein here. My auctions to UK are inclusive of P&P,for other countries buyers need to ask.You could include a similar "clause" in your Terms & Conditions.
    2. Sorry I have no knowledge or experience of Google Checkout.
    3.You are not showing as having a store at the moment,have you clicked the Status-Online option?

South Queensferry, West Lothian, United Kingdom
    View HannaHolly's Feedback (+3177)
    All-About HannaHolly
    View HannaHolly's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi.
    1. Yes you'll either need to decide you P & P rates in advance and include them in your listing, OR you can select the 'not known' option and put a clear instruction in your listinsg asking bidders to contact you for a postage quote before bidding ( obviously it's better if you've set the P & P yourself). as Bluebedouin says your postal service will have a website with rates you can use as guidance.

2. Lots of threads on google chechout. this ones very good http://helpdesk.ebid.net/showthread.php?t=98749

3. Maybe you've made your banner too big?

Thanks, I'll check out those links

bluebedouin, you can't see my store? I can see it:

http://us.ebid.net/stores/Mimis-Miscellaneous-and-More

you still can't see it?

Regarding Google Chechout. No your emai ladres is not your merchant number. You will need your Merchant ID and the merchant key.

Log on to your google account. Check the settings tab. On the lleft click integration. The ID and Key should be there bottom right.

Forum Lurker
    View swinglo73's Feedback (+323)
    All-About swinglo73
    View swinglo73's Listings
    Forum Posts

If you are shipping from the USA, you can use the USPS rate calculator to find your shipping ahead of time. It's pretty easy because everything within one country is the same (for the most part). What I mean, is it costs the same to ship an item to Arizona as it does to Texas, so you can post one price for all of America. A 1 lb. item going to Canada is the same price whether it goes to Alberta or BC... If you ship a lot of the same item though you'll get to the point where you already know what to charge.

Hi OP!!!

I too, are an "Ebay Refugee," and posted the question earlier about the need for a shipping calculator, dare I say it, like...Ebay has!! (perish the thought!)

I started to create my OWN domestic and international rate chart that I was HOPING I could import somehow in to my "All about Me" page and/or on my listings, but I haven't figured it out yet--so for the time being I'm offering free shipping when a buyer buys a certain amount--maybe THAT will get the ball rolling?!

I posted wanted to know how to import an Excel spreadsheet (my postage rates), to anyone more technologically savvy than I (which is just about everyone else on the planet!), but I haven't heard back yet.

If I do hear back, I will post the information on one of these forums for others to use.

WELCOME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eztorun View Post
    Regarding Google Chechout. No your emai ladres is not your merchant number. You will need your Merchant ID and the merchant key.

Log on to your google account. Check the settings tab. On the lleft click integration. The ID and Key should be there bottom right.
    Yeah, I figured out that I had to open a merchant account first. I only had a reg. google checkout account.

Thread Information