My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Search: max price optionally to include postage

Default Search: max price optionally to include postage

There's a thread on the postage section of the forums that goes along the lines of:

* Some sellers charge far too much postage
    * No they don't, I'm a long way from the PO (or whatever)
    * Yes they do
    * Besides, nobody but a fool buys without considering total
    * Etc

Now there may be truth in any or all of that, but this is especially relevant when using the improved features in search. If I set a max price for something of a fiver, thereby excluding someone who sells for 6 quid with free p+p, yet including someone who sells for 4 quid with a tenner for the courier...

Well, you get the idea. It's not good.

What we need is a checkbox to set whether the max price includes p+p or not.

We do need it to be optional. This is because if I'm looking for something where there's a seller within walking distance I'm obviously not worried about postage.

Hmmm, that reminds me, have I had a nag about the need for postcode based max-distance searches lately? Er, no, I haven't -- ok, consider it done!
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Now here's an actual example:

I've just been on Amazon, because a friend of mine got all excited about a 1Gb USB stick for 1p, yes ONE PENNY!

But before you go rushing off there, when you put it in your shopping basket, go through the checkout, then you find there's FIVE POUNDS p+p to take into account. Still, that wouldn't be too bad if the seller combined postage, right?

Two in the basket, ... 10 quid.

So then I try here on eBid. I put in 1Gb and of course there are hundreds of auctions for all kinds of things. I set a max price of a fiver, that narrows it down to 35 items. But of course these are mostly 3.99 plus 3.99p+p kind of deals.

I'm not complaining that sellers charge p+p, far from it. But we need a way of taking that into account. I believe that way is to have p+p optionally included in the search price, with a checkbox just below the price input field.

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

View 3drom's Feedback (+57)
    All-About 3drom
    View 3drom's Listings
    Forum Posts

I agree John, a good idea. Otherwise it just means that more 'honest' sellers (if that's the correct term here) are losing out because buyers are being attracted by initially cheaper items, which have higher postage to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by 3drom View Post
    I agree John, a good idea. Otherwise it just means that more 'honest' sellers (if that's the correct term here) are losing out because buyers are being attracted by initially cheaper items, which have higher postage to compensate.
    Let's be charitable. Maybe some are being less than honest, but I'm prepared to believe that whereas you and I may often charge actual postage or little more, someone running a high turnover business has to factor in costs of new packaging (I hardly ever buy any, I recycle) and labour and transport to the PO. I'm just doing it as a hobby.

But however you label sellers, yes, it means our auctions are at a disadvantage.

Though I"m actually more concerned to get this feature for my use as a buyer. It would make browsing searches more attractive for me.

View Xaos's Feedback (+7)
    All-About Xaos
    View Xaos's Listings
    Forum Posts

I would very much like to see lowest price with P&P
    Xaos -pro: kay-os (Gk: Χάος) -n: the primal void; non-linear system sensitive to initial conditions.

Sigil Magick and Chaos Magick - See my eBid listings: http://ebid.xaos.org.uk

Join the Chaos Magick Bebo Group

My Listings

This would definately "level" the playing field for all, buyers and sellers alike!
    DrCooper
    --------------------------------------

eBid Sign-up!

Thread Information