eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: individual Or Business Seller

Default Re: individual Or Business Seller

Quote Originally Posted by lejoueurdepipeau View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't understand this comment... You would rather I break the law of the land I live in and register on eBid as an individual? You would then buy from me as that somehow makes me more trustworthy and more likely to stand behind my product than someone who is properly and legally registered as a business??? What evidence do you have that business sellers on eBid "usually" don't "stand behind their product?"

It is also possible to buy items that aren't new to sell on - still makes you a business/antique dealer/junk shop/depot vente etc.
    I think this is a question on whether you will accept that this is now an international company. My understanding is that we have to abide by the laws of the land we live in. In Idaho as long as I am selling things I own I don't have to register as a business. Now there are 50 states in the USA and everyone of them has a different set of laws. As Jabek says in Florida he has a whole separate set of laws to deal with. The stage you are at in your business matters also. If I ever reach the PayPal reporting stage I would be dancing on the ceiling. Don't think I will ever get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelbrigda View Post
    I dont buy to sell I sell items ive bought but dont use any more or have never used. The items i make are sold at cost and I believe that is allowed but to make you happy ive changed my type to business even though I am too ill to run a business and just do this for fun and to pass the time. Maybe i should list my items as unused and not new but then they dont go to google
    Hi thats ok if you just sell stuff you never use and i would keep it as individual, if the items are new and never been used sell them as what they are new.
    Just be very careful on the laws as the taxman is not the forgiving or understanding type.

Quote Originally Posted by dardonboi View Post
    I think this is a question on whether you will accept that this is now an international company. .
    EBid is a British Company which has members from all over the world - of course I accept that - it's obvious to all - you only have to look at the list in the grey bar below. Are you saying you refuse to accept that eBid operates Internationally? How curious...

If your laws are different in your corner of the world you are perhaps lucky (although I have no problem with registering as a business as that is what I am currently) - but can you then accuse other members who you say have to abide by other regulations of "usually" behaving in a manner that perhaps only applies to business sellers in your experience of your local area? I have always abided by the law, both in the UK and in France, and would never sell anything (new or old) that I would not "stand by" wherever I happened to live.

Forum Saint
    View Pink_Panther's Feedback (+177)
    All-About Pink_Panther
    View Pink_Panther's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whittingtonsales View Post
    If you do not register you can be punished by heaving fines or even sentenced to a prison sentence
    I'd hate the buggas to be heaving fines onto me!
    Specially if they were heavy!

I aint had me weetabix and aint that strong!

Quote Originally Posted by lejoueurdepipeau View Post
    EBid is a British Company which has members from all over the world - of course I accept that - it's obvious to all - you only have to look at the list in the grey bar below. Are you saying you refuse to accept that eBid operates Internationally? How curious...

If your laws are different in your corner of the world you are perhaps lucky (although I have no problem with registering as a business as that is what I am currently) - but can you then accuse other members who you say have to abide by other regulations of "usually" behaving in a manner that perhaps only applies to business sellers in your experience of your local area? I have always abided by the law, both in the UK and in France, and would never sell anything (new or old) that I would not "stand by" wherever I happened to live.
    I did not say that I don't accept eBid as an international company. To me it sounds like you don't accept it.

I guess then that eBid administration needs to clarify which set of laws they want us to follow. If we have to operate under the UK laws and then the USA laws and then the State of Idaho laws or the State of Florida laws the whole process becomes way to complicated for those outside of the UK to operate.

If I am a business I will become a business. If I am an individual then I will stay as I am. I guess I am not smart enough to figure it out. I sell the things from my home that I have accumulated. The things that are not mine are from family and friends. I don't purchase anything to sell on eBid. So what does that make me?

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maelbrigda View Post
    I dont buy to sell I sell items ive bought but dont use any more or have never used. The items i make are sold at cost and I believe that is allowed but to make you happy ive changed my type to business even though I am too ill to run a business and just do this for fun and to pass the time. Maybe i should list my items as unused and not new but then they dont go to google
    Items listed as 'unused' still get uploaded to Google Products by eBid (assuming they meet all other criteria). Only thing is they get classified as 'used' because Google does not recognise the status of 'unused'. I believe they only accept 'new', 'used', and 'refurbished'.

Whether you are a business is between you and HMRC. Well...you have no real say in it. If HMRC say you are, it doesn't matter what you say.
    Last edited by astral276; 13th June 2012 at 08:16 PM.

View NuttyKrafts's Feedback (+644)
    All-About NuttyKrafts
    View NuttyKrafts's Listings
    Forum Posts

I put my status as a business seller as I make things to ( hopefully ) sell at some profit and also buy things to sell on. HMRC knows and I duly fill in my tax returns every year. BUT I'm not actually registered anywhere as a business and after reading all these posts, am wondering if I should be? Even tho' I have yet to reach a four figure profit, I am making some money from my hobby - bit confused now.
    Nutty by name, nutty by nature.
    /

Hand made items here

Bits and pieces here

Fund raising for L.O.R.O.S. here

Books and music for L.O.R.O.S. here

Quote Originally Posted by Pink_Panther View Post
    I'd hate the buggas to be heaving fines onto me!
    Specially if they were heavy!

I aint had me weetabix and aint that strong!
    lol sorry my mistake i meant heavy lol, I have just corrected it.
    Last edited by whittingtonsales; 13th June 2012 at 10:17 PM.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dardonboi View Post
    I guess then that eBid administration needs to clarify which set of laws they want us to follow. ...
    I don't think they care. The provide the venue, it's up to you to trade legally (and I'm sure you do). All that business / individual / tax and legality stuff... surely not their problem? But this is one of those areas where people always seem to get (to my mind) strangely over-excited and quite often rather personal and aggressive. Me... I couldn't give tinker's cuss what somebody registers as. It doesn't affect my legal rights when trading with them, it doesn't make any significant difference to the way the eBid deal is handled, and the rest is between them and their tax man, not my business.

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyKrafts View Post
    I put my status as a business seller as I make things to ( hopefully ) sell at some profit and also buy things to sell on. HMRC knows and I duly fill in my tax returns every year. BUT I'm not actually registered anywhere as a business and after reading all these posts, am wondering if I should be? Even tho' I have yet to reach a four figure profit, I am making some money from my hobby - bit confused now.
    If you registered with HMRC as selling items you will most likely be classed as self employed as a sole trader unless you work for someone else as well, Then that can get complicated lol.
    You will still be classed as a small business i would have thought.

Thread Information